Internet Over Power Lines.......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scu, Jul 11, 2005.

1. scu macrumors regular

Now this is exciting.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/tech/news/3259278

2. gangst macrumors 6502a

Reminds me of the networking you can have around your house which runs othroughout your house using the electric circuitry. Home networking using plug sockets I think this is a pretty cool product, because its quite original.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I thought i remembered this being a highly unreliable system... tat power peaks and dips would interfere greatly with the data flow. We'll just have to see.... damn, that would be cool.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

One of my profs thought Google was getting in on this...

6. efoto macrumors 68030

One major argument for is that it would allow everyone who has power access to broadband internet. I know a lot of people who have trouble getting cable or dsl access at their house, this would pretty much solve that problem....assuming all the grounwork is already laid out in standard power lines.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

The problem with BPL is that it will cause huge amounts of blanket interference to HF radios because basically the power lines act like huge transmitting antennas. Amateur radio operators (I am one) are fighting this very hard. The pressure from the ARRL has caused some of the companies responsible for the new technology to make improvements to reduce interference, but it's still pretty bad. More information here.

8. efoto macrumors 68030

If they could send broadband data through power lines, what would stop them from sending a radio signal or some other encoded wave over power lines?

I can see how this will interfere and therefore I understand your opposition to it, however broadcasting random waves for people to pickup everywhere is a rather old technology. Why not have radio carried over power and then have it dispursed at high-output areas for the general public (like major metropolitan downtowns)? The home user could still listen because it is sent over power....
    Besides, satellite is making a huge move, so is this still a problem if things are headed in that direction?

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

One of the reasons the FCC protects amateur radio spectrum, is because amateur radio operators provide communications during emergencies when other modes of communication are disable. If a huge earthquake hits, the power lines may go down, and "old-fashioned" radio will still work. Cell-phones would be a good alternative, except that the towers often get damaged, and the networks get overloaded by people placing so many calls.

Besides the practical, emergency response aspects of amateur radio, it's a hobby that 3 million people worldwide participate in, so we're not too happy to see it ruined by BPL when there are other alternatives without such strong downsides.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

2 Threads about the same! ...

Nothing to see here by now, yeah, sort of old news, a faster way to increase your risk at home :)

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I read both threads, and chose this one. ;)

What are these "other alternatives" that would provide almost 100% of the population access to broadband internet without (significant) additional infrastructure?

12. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I don't know a lot about it yet, but WiMax technology seems promising. It would require additional infrastructure (as would BPL) but not a huge amount as it's wireless.