Internet phones?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Draft, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

I just saw an ad for one of these on tv, but I haven't been able to find much information on them. Are they free to use if you already have a broadband connection? Do you need to sign up for a service? Does anyone currently use one? Also, is there any information pages on these out there?

If you haven't seen one of these, then check out this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._5/102-3718484-5046547?v=glance&s=electronics

Thanks,
    Draft

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

To start off, most likely you will need a broadband connection.

Secondly, I know a lot of businesses are switching over to voice-over-IP systems for their phones, and I could not see any info there on if it was for home use or business use, but it clearly looks like a standard home phone.

The site says "Use as a fine cordless telephone on a phone jack / Connect to a PC for calling over the Internet for free or at reduced rates "

Assuming it is a home device, you will probably need software that will work with it for the Mac. Which is always unlikely. You will need some kind of service for them, some of which are free, but I am unaware and unable to find any info on what service these use.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

Does this work just like a mic and a netcam, where it requires video conferencing software? If this is the case, though, you wouldn't be able to just dial a number and talk.

Does anyone have any information on these phones?

Thanks,
    Draft

4. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

If you plug this phone into your home network, then shouldn't you be able to dial up someones ip, and connect directly? I would think so. It probably has a certain port it uses, and you would have to make an exception in your firewall, but it should be really simple. Of course the person you are calling would have to have an IP phone too. And they should be free if you have a broadband connection, because there is no way to keep track of it. It would be like reading a web page, and some company trying to bill you for it. There is no way they would make it like that. Phone companys have a lot to worry about, because you could call anyone worldwide with no long distance bill! I can't wait till I can get rid of my phone bill one day!

5. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

The phone on your link is not an IP phone however, and the above does not apply. The one you have is an internet phone, which means it contacts a service provider, and they charge you. An IP phone just uses your internet connection.

6. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

One more thing. This is how the video phone will be introduced. It will most likely run on your current broadband connection. They could make them now.