internet problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aimlessone, Mar 5, 2007.

1. aimlessone macrumors newbie

I've had my iBook for about 2 years now. Used to have a Netgear router that I used with my cable internet, now I have a Linksys which I've had for about a year. Recently, about the last 2 months or so, I've had problems with my airport/internet connection. About every 1 to 3 days or so when I try to surf the internet, the browser will come up saying I am not connected to the internet, then my airport icon at the top of the screen will drop to no signal. In the beginning, I rebooted my router, but it's been happening so frequently now that I'm sure it's not a router problem. Help? Thanks.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

What version of OS X are you running? Have you run all your software updates and airport driver updates? Do you use any kind of encryption on your router (WEP, WPA, or WPA2)? How close to the router is the comptuer? Any walls in between the router and computer, if so, how many?

Any other details you can give us about your setup would be hugely helpful.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

A while back there was an AirPort update (AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001)
    that caused me some problem on my CD MacBook. It wouldn't connect to the internet and frequently dropping signal. I had to reinstall OS X to get rid of the problem (there was also another way to do it, just seemed too much like a hack job).

As the poster above me said, we need some more info about your computer and where your router is.

4. aimlessone thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the missing info. I am running OS version 10.4.8. Everytime the box pops up to download new software upgrades, I do. The encryption on my router is WPA2. The router is in one room, and I am in the room next door, so 2 walls inbetween. However, as I stated before, I have been using the router with no problems (same location) for the past year, so I think it is a problem with software or the mac itself. I searched the forums before posting and notice other people having problems and recommending a download that costs $2 from the apple site, but when I went to download it, my computer didn't meet the requirements, so I figured it didn't apply to me. Perhaps I will reinstall then *sigh*. This was the reason I went to apple, because I hated getting blue screens of death on my pc and having to reinstall.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Is it a CD MacBook or a C2D MacBook? That $1.99 is only for the C2D MacBooks as it will enable Wireless-N.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It sounds like it could have been a bunk update of some kind - especially if what Don Ditty says is true. If you're computer doesn't meet the upgrade-to-N requirements, you might look at this not as a need to reinstall but a chance for a clean slate ;)

Yes, reinstalling can be annoying, but if you haven't already, you'll find that reinstalling is a very rare solution to a problem on a Mac. I've only had to reinstall my OS one time, and that was more to satisfy my neuroses than anything else.

7. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Geeze.. how often were you having to reinstall? what was going on with your PC? I have had close to 10 PC's over the past 5 years, and have only had to wipe and reinstall twice. (Plus once by choice when changing from xp home to xp pro). It happens occasionally with macs also, but if i remember correctly, its alot easier with macs than with PC's