Internet question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ang8385, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ang8385 macrumors member

Currently running 10.3.5 with 256k ADSL and VPC with windows XP.
    Why the download speed in VPC is 60+kb/s but in Panther just 20+kb/s ??

Is there something wrong or just normal? Thankx in advance

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Answers to a few questions might help...

Downloading via the Web, via FTP, via SCP, ???

What programs are you using to do the downloading (inside of VPC, and in Panther)?

Did you have the VPC session running when you tested the Panther download speed?

3. ang8385 thread starter macrumors member

Both also downloading via Web, i just install VPC yesterday. For past few months i also getting 20+kb/s in Panther, yesterday night i was shock while i was downloading some windows software in VPC with 60+kb/s.

Another question, what optimal speed will i get with my connection ?

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Keep in mind that your going to run into Slow/Busy servers which can't always give full bandwidth, for me my PC and Mac will have about the same speed but I do find some places faster then others

I don't think Panther should be doing anything to slow your connection so I should guess thats its just a question of how good the server is on the other side

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Sounds a little fishy to me. With a 256 Kb/s connection to your provider, the most I would expect you to get would be 256/8 or 32 KB/s, so getting 60 "kb" which I am assuming is kilobytes (KB) not kilobits (Kb) would seem to be impossible. And getting 20-24 KB per second on the Mac, or about 75% of maximum, isn't too bad.

That being said, the best way to test this would be to time a download of the exact same file from the exact same site. Can't really do it at the same time, as that would impact both downloads, but you could do it one right after the other, then compare actual download times, not what the browser might be telling you. And make sure it is a relatively large file, a megabyte or more, so that there is enough time to really tell.

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well the site you downloaded the windows file might have a better connection, so you will download faster. The best thing to do is to download a big file (5-8 MB) and see what you get both from panther and VPC.

It depends, I have a 1MB line to my house and i some days have very fast connection and other days its very slow. Depends on the sites/servers you are connecting to.

7. ang8385 thread starter macrumors member

That day i was downloading Windows media player 10 (10+mb) and MSN messenger 6.2 for windows in VPC. Both were running extremely fast. Anyway, i would assume that would be special case :p

However, can i speed up my connection ?

8. hanq macrumors member

if you're downloading from the microsoft site its possible you'll get better dl on windows. microsoft probably makes the site so its optimised for windows and IE. for example using asp instead of html or whatever. i found asp isn't as fast on a mac. but if the site uses standard stuff, loads are a lot faster on a mac than on windows.