Internet Radio on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by modyouup, Mar 4, 2003.

1. modyouup macrumors member

To make a long story short, I want to be able to make internet radio broadcasts on my Mac. Doesn't have to be a app drenched in features just the basics, mic support and of course support for music.(duh)

So my obvious first choice is Apple software so I download Quicktime Broadcast only to find out that I need Mac OS X server! I know I need a server to run it on. I already have a web server I could use with it which is already being used for my website.

Sooo, any info on how to go about this? I see neat apps like Megaseg but how do I use apps like that in turn with broadcasting it. Dahhh, confusion. :)

2. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I tried Mac Sushi. What exactly is the thing doing? The whole app is a button that's for starting the server. You start it and then what? :confused:

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i think quicktime broadcaster runs on osx user as well, it just says server to scare you off. you can also try quicktime streaming server (it too says it needs osx server but it does not) and i believe icecast (command line) is available for osx. good luck, and let us know the address once your station is up and running:)

5. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I finally decided on SHOUTcast because it's just so cool and I control it with Audion or MacAmp.

Not really planning on a regular station, I'm looking to continue my weekly radio show that I have at school during the summer online.

So thanks for your suggestions, oh and my site for it is loudandoffensive.com.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

how about iTunes Radio thingy. I don't have a mac, but I used to,
    and I know iTunes has a radio feature. I don't know if what your
    looking for is there though... ;)

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Actually, you don't want to run Broadcaster and QTSS on the same machine. The performance would be "subpar".

8. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Hey how do you make those little .pls files for instant listening? What information to you have to type into a .pls(playlist) file?

9. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

I was wondering can you use itunes to listen to custom station rather than the built in ones?

No thats just for listening to radio station.

10. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

you can download a .pls or .m3u file from the website of the station, or just go to the "advanced" menu in itunes and choose "open stream...".

i just tried to listen to one of modyouup's broadcasts, but halfway through, the police beat me up and put me in jail :rolleyes: . government sucks, but photoshoped pictures of GW in front of a swastica don't do much for your cause. check out david friedman's book "the machinery of freedom", anarchy can work, bitching can't :D .

11. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Hey thanks, i really should do an intensive look around software before asking.