Internet Randomly Dropping Out?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LillieDesigns, Aug 2, 2006.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I'm connected to my home network via wireless router and my signal strength is decent, but I keep randomly getting kicked offline fora split second. It wouldn't be a concern to me, but applications such as iChat and AIM become unusable. I will be randomly browsing the web and sometimes when I click on a link it says "You are not connected to the internet," but a split second later Safari connect fine. Please help! I just spent almost $2,000 on a mac and my stupid Windows laptop is connecting perfectly only 2 feet away :(

PS: How do you copy and paste on these things? :p

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of wireless security does your router have? Is it just the internet dropping out or does the Mac's connection to the entire network drop out?

Copying can be done by either using the contextual menu (hold CONTROL as you click on the selected area you want copied) or by using the Edit menu or by pressing COMMAND-C where COMMAND is the key with an Apple on it. Pasting is similar, but the key command is COMMAND-P. :)

3. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I don't even have security activated on my wireless network.

Like I said before, I'll be online or on AIM and the stupid thing drops for a split ssecond and screws up my chatting.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, but we need to determine whether this is a network dropout or an internet dropout. Either of these will cause you the same grief, but they'll need to be dealt with differently in order to solve your problem. A good way of testing is to transfer a file from one machine to another via the wireless network and monitor whether it has these same dropouts. :)

5. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

that's the other problem...i couldnt get a network set up between my PC and iMac...

like i said tho...the laptop is working fine right next to it

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well if it's a Network-side issue with your iMac then maybe try returning some of your port settings to their defaults. This can be done by resetting the SMU. I realise the linked article is meant for the iMac G5 and I assume yours is an Intel iMac, however the process is the same for both. :)

7. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

Are there any side effects when resetting the SMU?

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

isn't pasting COMMAND-V? COMMAND-P is print, i think. this jumped out at me as being unusual, but i can't test it since i'm at work on a windows. perhaps i'm too caught up in a windows world! :rolleyes:

9. JAT macrumors 603

Yes, COMMAND-V for paste. Same as Windows for these, except using the Command key instead of Control.

Not all keyboard shortcuts are the same as on Windows though, the 3 mentioned here just happen to be the same.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha. :D

Yeah, it's COMMAND-V. ;)

It'll reset your clock but that'll update again next time you hook up to the 'net (or you can update it manually). Other than that, it won't harm anything. :)