Internet Sharing and NAT for Xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tiauguinho, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Although I've seen the older thread about Internet sharing and the Xbox, I still didnt see a definitive answer for the NAT issue. Here is my setup:

Modem (D-Link 300T) -> Airport Express (10.0.1.1) -> Powerbook(wireless 10.0.1.2) (wired 192.168.2.1) -> Xbox360 (wired 192.168.2.2)

I pass all the tests, including the DNS tests. I got ports open on the Airport Express 53, 88 and 3074 and forwarded to 10.0.1.2 (which is the Powerbook). Powerbook firewall is off. But Xbox Live still says that my NAT is moderated and I can't join any online games, even though I can use xbox live for the marketplace etc etc :(

Any of you in a similar setup? If so, what solution did you have for the NAT problem? I really want to avoid spending €88 on the Wireless adaptor for the xbox...

2. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

http://www.slightlyremarkable.com/2006/04/xbox-live-via-mac

3. lazymarshall macrumors newbie

Please someone help, this is driving me mad now.
    The link posted sets the connection up ok, but does nothing to resolve the NAT issue.

4. lazymarshall macrumors newbie

:mad: Please someone help, this is driving me mad now.

The link posted sets the connection up ok, but does nothing to resolve the NAT issue. I've used both this link and the previous one in this forum.

I have the same setup as the below user, although don't know if i've done port forwarding correct in airport admin. I'm thinking maybe that the ports should be forwarded to the IP of the xbox - 192.168.2.2

Has anyone who uses this setup managed to get 'open' NAT???

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Don't really have much help for you but I can tell you that this is incorrect. Since the Powerbook is acting as a router for your 360 your airport has no idea your XBox exists. Don't forward the ports to your XBox.

6. dwishbone macrumors regular

why would you use a powerbook to share a connection when you have a router? what id recommend is just pick up a cheap wireless ethernet bridge. you can get a cheap access point for MUCH cheaper than that rip off 802.11g adapter microsoft sells. hell, i use an old Linksys WET11 for my 360 and it works peachy.
    but ya forwarding ports on your Airport will do no good. you'd have to forward them using the ones built into to OSX's firewall..and if i remember correctly there is no GUI built in..but there are free config tools available. (i could be wrong about it not being a GUI...im on a windoze PC at work atm so i cant verify that).
    also, im not too familiar with cable modems...but both my DSL modems had a built in firewall by default for protection. i had to disable all modem security and had to change to first one to PPPoE mode and the second to bridge mode to get the 360 to work correctly.