Internet sharing between two Mac Laptops

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nar1117, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Hey all, i have a quick question regarding internet sharing.

Is it possible to share a wireless internet connection between two computers via the airport card? For example, if My macbook pro is connected to a wireless network and to the internet, can I share my connection with another Airport-equipped mac via my own airport (which is also being used to connect to the internet in the first place). The only problem i can see is that the airport is essentially going in two directions, to the other computer and to the internet. Can this be done?

Thanks in advance.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It shouldn't be a problem at all. I have my Powerbook and iMac connected to the internet wirelessly, both from the one wireless modem router.

3. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i mean the airport card in the MBP going two directions, one to the other Mac, and the other to the airport base station. Is that possible?

4. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

no

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Ah ok, I get it now. :eek:

I'm not sure if this is possible or not. But if there is a wireless network, can't both machines just connect to it?

6. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well thats the problem, one of the macs (an older iBook) seems to be unable to connect to the wireless network. We havent spent any time diagnosing this particular problem, and we were curious to see whether the method I described in my OP would work.

7. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why not?

8. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

It's just the way wireless networking was designed. A wireless card cannot connect to more than one device.