Internet sharing help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iCheese, Dec 6, 2006.

1. iCheese macrumors regular

Hello, I need some help with Internet sharing. My [second] linksys router crapped out on me, so I destroyed it with a hammer which felt great. Anyways, I now have the iMac connected directly to the modem, and the internet connection is working fine. I do however have a problem with my connection on the macbook. I enabled internet sharing on the iMac, which I connect to using the macbook. I am able to browse the Internet on the macbook fine, but I am not able to log into iChat or check my mail using the Mail application. Can anyone help me out so I can use my macbook to the fullest?

Thanks so much

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

I don't quite grasp the system set up. Do you have your iMac sharing the internet through Airport?

3. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. the iMac is physically connected to the modem, and is sharing its internet connection through its airport.

4. iCheese thread starter macrumors regular

Another thing, is the connection my iMac is broadcasting an open network? How can I make it encrypted so no one else can access it without permission?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The theory is, when you go into the settings where you turn internet sharing on or off, turn it off and then you will be able to click the button that says "Airport Prefs" (or something like that, sorry I'm not on OS X right now). It will give you advanced options, including an area for a WEP key. Now your wireless is encrypted with 40 bit or 128 bit encryption. In theory it works, but I was never able to get my laptop to connect when I had encryption on... oh well.

Also, I think if you do an ad-hoc network, that OS X won't do secure connections.. idk why, but that's how it was on my mini (10.3.9) and I couldn't connect to facebook/AIM/ebay/anything requiring a secure login.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I haven't really tried internet sharing, but I can try it tonight when I get home and see what things do/don't work for me. :)

I have a feeling though that, as far as WEP is concerned, at least some people have had success. I thought people were using WEP internet sharing to overcome the Nintendo DS's failure to support WPA...

Just a minor aside... but you should really explore the possibility that there is something else wrong if two routers have blown up in your house. Repeated router failures are pretty unusual. What is the quality of your power source? Do you have a good surge protector?

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

P.S. Maybe it's WPA.. I just remember it's some sort of encryption that needs a password if you want to use the 'net.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's WEP. The options for internet sharing, at least in Tiger, are somewhat limited, but they are generally pretty easy to use.