internet sharing in dorm

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by raiderz182, Dec 9, 2003.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

my dorm has one port, and it is registered to one ethernet card. So i have to always use that for internet. I am using my PC to connect, but i also wanted to have internet access for my powerbook when im in my dorm also. Does anyone know my options?
    i have usb 1.1 , i was wondering if you can share internet through usb,
    or maybe i should buy another ethernet card and somehow share through that
    wireless card , firewire, usb2 ?? please help

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

an ethernet hub would be an easy and fairly cheap option. a router would be an even better but more expensive option.

3. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

OH YEAH i forgot , my school says clearly on their rules that hubs and routers are not allowed, esp wireless.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

they would never know you had it unless they saw it with their eyes.

5. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

do hubs and routers have the same type of ID's that ethernet cards do? cause i have to register it

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

yeah they do, some routers (I believe) can even clone the MAC address from your ethernet card, so as far as they new, the MAC address would be the same.

7. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

ok well, router will be my last option, if anyone knows how to do any of the other things please explain

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

if I were you the first thing I would spend money on is more ram for your powerbook. you will never get full speed out of OSX with only 256MB. 512MB min.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

My D-Link router has a feature where it can clone the MAC Address (Ethernet card address) from any client computer. This makes it impossible for anyone to tell the router isnt your computer. This would be the best way to go.

10. raiderz182 thread starter macrumors regular

i just found out that my school uses something called packet id detection or somethign like that. so i guess router is out of the question

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

My university specifically prohibits using a router, especialyl wireless ones, a month after I got here i had my parents send the one fro mym home dowsn here, I did a little configuring (turned off announce, enabled WEP and other things), its like own private little hub. Plus the monitoring for usage is based on Ip which assigns based on MAc address so if i get close to my limit i just change the MAC address and go on my merry way. A little bit of common sense and they will never know.

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How about this

You mentioned you are using a PC connected to the port, so I assume the ethernet port is registered to that card.

I would add a second network card to your pc and then connect that second card to a hub. Now you can also add your powerbook to that hub and use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to share your network connection.

The beauty of this approach is it looks like all the traffic is coming from your PC.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Also

Most routers enable you to emulate another ethernet card by putting the MAC (Not Macintosh) address.

To get the MAC address of your ethernet card in Windows XP

Goto command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and the value for Physical Address is the MAC address of your network card.

Once you have this, you could enter this in say a linksys routers admin control panel in the "MAC Address Clone" subscreen under the Setup Section.

email me if you need more help. Im also on MSN Messenger.