Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chasealicious

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
My iMac is connected to my campus network via ethernet. I have internet sharing via airport turned on on the iMac, and it sends out a wireless signal that my PowerBook picks up on - however, some websites simply don't work at all while others work with no issues.

I do not have any sort of firewall turned on, yet it seems like some ports simply aren't working. What kind of steps should I take to open all of them up?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
When you say the ports/sites aren't working, it is just on the PowerBook or on both machines?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chasealicious said:
I do not have any sort of firewall turned on, yet it seems like some ports simply aren't working. What kind of steps should I take to open all of them up?

So is it things that do not work over port 80 that defines the category of non-working internet activity? And are you sure *both* macs have their firewalls turned off (for that matter, why are you running without firewall? :eek: :p )

Chasealicious

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Fayetteville, AR
Both of the two previous posts went completely over my head. I'm not particularly savvy with the inner workings of networks and network administration.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay... let's turn it down a notch then. What browser do you use? Try using a browser from a different family (e.g. Safari, Firefox/Camino, and Opera represent three different families, but don't switch from FF to Camino for this because it probably won't make a difference) and see if you have the same issue.

The reason I am asking is that... when you made the ports comment, I assumed understood the concept of ports and knew which ports you were using on different sites... But if that's not the case, there's another simpler possibility, which is purely that there is a connection lag in the bouncing process (network -> desktop -> notebook) and your browser is just timing out....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.