internet sharing over airport

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by excalibur313, Sep 17, 2004.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

So I'm at college and I don't have wireless internet in my dorms. When i was at a fellow mac fans dorm he used internet sharing to allow me to surf the web wirelessly while he was physically connected via an ethernet line. I have a pc at home that isn't being used but it has a wireless card and is currently running windows xp. Is there anyway i can do similar internet sharing or maybe would airport express work? I just want a way to surf wirelessly that doesn't assign new ips or anything else that my network admin wouldn't like?
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Well, I don't know about your windows machine, but Airport Express would definitely work. It's not going to affect your campus network; it just assigns a temporary IP to your Mac.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I wouldn't bother dragging an XP box down simply to serve as a wireless internet gateway. You can get a wireless access point or router for under $60 in many places, and is probably your best bet. Airport Express would be cool if you wanted to play iTunes on your stereo, but otherwise may be overpriced for what you need.

4. pncc macrumors regular

If you have a Mac w/ an Airport card, you can start Internet sharing in the sharing pane. The mac will get an IP from the wired Internet and then act as a software basestation and share the Internet wirelessly through the Airport card. This will work with Windows and Macs just fine.

5. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

the only concern i have is that last year the head of itc, who is a big jerk, said that he shut down a whole dorm because one kid had a router. Now he is probably lying but i just don't want to run into similar problems

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

With a real wireless router, the IT department would really never know unless you're running several computers and hogging a bunch of bandwidth. You can even clone your Mac's MAC address so it would look the same to the network.

7. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

The problem with is collages have become really picky about the internet and what is used for. Yeah it a nice thing to do in theory but any body who used it to download with P2P or if a infected got on it and started sending virus over the network you get blamed for it and you are the one who takes the conquents of it. LIke lost of the enthonet port. It a nice thing to set up for a friend to gain access to but I would keep it lock down and not share it with any one I dont know. Collages dont like routers very much because they can not tell how many computer are on there network and they dislike wireless even more because they can not tell what you physical location is. With a hardwire they always know exactly where you are but with a wireless you could be about any where.

8. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Yeah at my school, if you have a wireless router, or any kinda of router/ internet sharring on, they remove you from the network, and it pretty much messes things up for a day. Because you are giving away free IP Address's and my school gets pissed... I would check before you do anything.