Internet sharing over usb to iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carlmattheis, Jun 24, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

Hello MacRumor readers! So i've had my iPhone 2G for a few years now and recently the WiFi has stopped working. Im getting it replaced on the 9th of July so thats not the problem. The problem is I would like to use the internet from my MBP through my USB cable to my iPhone. Its on 3.0 and I added the ethernet port in Network Prefs and used sharing prefs to share that port. I know my way around mac pretty well but I guess I don't know everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I just hope this is possible.

2. macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Like reverse tethering? Why not just use your wifi connection with your MBP to do what you need to do?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

Yes exactly like reverse tethering. And to answer your question about why I cant just use my MBP's internet is because for somethings like downloading apps and checking email while I'm using my MBP for other things (Like watching movies) its a lot more convenient.

4. macrumors newbie

id be interested if this is possible as well. often times when im on the road in a foreign country, ill be provided a wired internet connection.. so i can get online with my mbp but not my iphone... so cant get in cydia or other things like that ;)

5. macrumors newbie

Wen i go to hotels with a physical connection i usually connect my laptop and enable internet sharing from settings. its very simple and easy.

6. macrumors newbie

ah sometimes you forget the simplest things... thanks man!

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

Im glade this thread helped you! I wish my issue was that simple, but my WiFi is completely dead.

8. macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

So is mine on my 3G. It's a known problem with the 3.0 software.

Unless yours stopped working before you upgraded.

9. macrumors member

Uhh, I think you might mean internet sharing (if that's what I get from your post, it's a little unclear)

If you're router broke or something, and your iPhone still can receive WiFi, then go to:

System Preferences > Sharing > Check the box for Internet Sharing and go from ethernet to AirPort

Then use your MBP's Airport Utility to make a network and have your iPhone connect that way. Should work, as it did in my dorms (where wireless is arbitrarily banned)

10. macrumors 6502

He already said twice that his iPhone can't receive wifi.

11. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get to Sharing and select your iPhone, you should be good to go......

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

carlmattheis

What connection would my iPhone be in sharing. What port?

13. macrumors newbie

Yeah, same question. In Internet Sharing, you can only share via ethernet, firewire or Airport. There is no provision to share over USB ( iPhone)

14. macmadness86, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

macrumors newbie

Your Answer Exists in Another Thread

Hey I know this is a bit late, but check out this post for your answer on how to tether a mac to a phone and not the other way around.

After reading this post, I think it is absolutely necessary to clarify this:

CONNECT TO INTERNET ON MAC <--> IPHONE IS IN AIRPLANE MODE
    --->IPHONE STILL ACCESSES INTERNET VIA SOCKS PROXY OVER USB CABLE

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=345976

Why would you want to do this? I want to do this because my macbook air has a stronger wifi card than my iphone. Despite being far away from an antenna, I can still use the internet on my iphone. That is one reason. Another reason: situations often spontaneously arrive that bring about unexpected needs. The question "why not" is perhaps more appropriate.

good luck
    --macmadness86