internet sharing to pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Apr 1, 2005.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I am trying to share my powerbooks ethernet connection over airport to a PC. After playing around with it i was able to get the pc to connect but the pc can't go on the internet even though the signal strength is good. I put the same network name, password, and channel on both and it seems like it is working but it doesn't connect to web sites. What should i do next?
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This might be a stupid question but are you sure you've set your PowerBook to share its internet connection? It's in the System Preferences under Networks and then Internet I think.

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Yeah i did. I was trying to say that the pc sees the connection and is connected to it but it doesn't result in me being able to go on the internet....it has an ip address and everything though....

4. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm kinda grabbing this from nowhere and it probably won't be your problem, but have you looked at the firewall settings on the PC? Maybe the antivirus too, but that's pretty darn unlikely.

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

A possibly dumb tip, but worked for me. I had to turn the firewall off on my mac for it to work. I had the same situation... but I imagine you have already done this.

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Does the PC even get an IP number? File sharing can work without TCP/IP. Try going to your PC and opening a DOS session. At the DOS prompt, type ipconfig which should list basic information. If your PC has a self assigned IP number, then the problem might be that your PC's TCP/IP settings need to be changed (probably to all DHCP/automatic settings). Or if this isn't the problem, perhaps your powerbook isn't sharing properly.

8. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

When i do that it definitely seems like it is getting an ip assigned to it because gateways match up and such.

I figured out that the firewall must be disabled on my mac! Thanks guys for all your help!

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Kudos, that's a bit weird. You'd think the firewall wouldn't give a rat's about outgoing packets. :confused:

Glad the problem's solved nevertheless. :)

10. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

the firewall may have been blocking dns requests from the PC, or some other essential service that the PC requests from the mac. If you can be bothered run ethereal on the PC and or mac and try and figure out what isn't getting through.
    my hunch is DNS, however whenever I have shared my mac's internet to PCs it has always just worked. I have never managed to get windows's internet sharing working well with macs though...