Internet sharing without DHCP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yg17, Sep 29, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Is there a way to make Internet Sharing share an ethernet connection over Wifi, but, not use DHCP and instead act as a regular switch? I'm in a dorm, and IT isn't a huge fan of DHCP servers besides their own running on the network. Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just get a router.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Turn off 'Distribute IP addresses' in the network tab of the Airport admin utility & the airport will act as a bridge, your laptop will use the existing network for its DHCP settings.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Im not using an Airport base station. I'm using internet sharing on my G5 so my Powerbook gets wireless

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Are you trying to make the Airport Wireless network point you trying to share static, or the Ethernet link to your DSL / Cable modem?

[​IMG]

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Not quite sure what you mean exactly

I have my G5 plugged into the campus network, and my G5 has an Airport card in it. Id like to use OSX's internet sharing feature to allow my PowerBook to access the internet over Wifi since there isn't campus wireless in my dorms. However, if IT discoveres a DHCP server on the network, they aren't too happy and will ban people from the network for a few days, so I'm trying to avoid that.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Ok that answers my question., but why don't you make a secure wireless network and not broadcast the SSID?

Anyway
    I believe the answer is yes, as I have done similar (the opposite actually) with my Ibook sharing it's cable connection to an older mac, while the ibook connected Wirelessly to my cable modem.

What you will need to do is setup a static IP address on your Airport wireless computer sharing the connection, it has to be on a unique network and subnet when compared to your Built In Ethernet connection your G5 is using to get out.

Example below

On Airport card on the G5
    IP = 192.168.2.1
    netmask= 255.255.255.0
    Router = NONE
    DNS Servers = NONE

Airport on iBook
    IP = 192.168.2.2
    Netmask = 255.255.255.0
    Router = 192.168.2.1
    DNS Server = (You will have to get this (or these) IP addresses off of your OTHER connection on the G5( Built In Ethernet)) As the DNS servers are on the outside network.

I know this setup works the other way around (sharing the Built In Ethernet) so I don't see why the opposite wouldn't work.

[​IMG]