Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Himrich, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Himrich macrumors newbie

I'm presently in a hotel and connected to an Ethernet Internet connection. My traveling buddy also has a PowerBook with Airport card. I tried to set up my PowerBook as a base station and he was able to get a signal but when he attempted to launch Safari he got the "could not find URL" or such. He could not get his email either. Is there anything else that we need to check on his or my machine?

2. the Natetrix macrumors member

I would suggest going into the system preferences of his machine, go to Network. Look at the Color of the dot next to the Built in-ethernet row. It should be green and say Built-in ethernet is currently active and give you an IP address. If it doesn't if its Yellow, it's looking for a valid IP address and if its Red that means the Built IN ethernet is disabled alltogether. Id start with the Assist Me... button on the bottom if you need a place to start.

Its not much but its a beginning step

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

Don't know if you still need this info, but...

Go to your prefs and make sure Internet sharing is on and shared over the Airport. See screen grab below (would need to click start).

Attached Files:

4. Himrich thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all but I've already got those bases covered. We have green dots where they matter and I have the Internet Sharing set up just the way it is suppose to be.

Perhaps where we are failing is how the borrowing PowerBook has it's TCP/IP set up. My PowerBook is the host and it is forced by this hotel (Seoul, South Korea) to set it up manually in order to work. We left the other PowerBook setup with "Using DHCP" as it's way of accessing an IP address. It gets a 10.something IP which I assume is what is being assigned from my PowerBook.

5. the Natetrix macrumors member

OK its a far stretch but try downloading a freeware called itattle, you can find it on www.versiontracker.com. On it there will be a list of network information off of his machine. Don't have base machine connected to him when you launch itattle and see if an IP address comes up, and an external IP as well. If they do (which they should) try plugging in the IP address into his network system prefs as a DCHP with manuel IP. Apply it and then plug in the airport. If that still doesn't work, I'm sorry I'll have to learn more about configuring a base station. Good luck!

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

2 potential problems here:
    1) is the firewall on your Mac blocking your buddy's connections?
    2) it's possible that he's got a perfect wifi connection, but he has no DNS, so won't be able to get to any sites using their names. Can he get to this address?:

http://17.112.152.32

A.K.A.

http://www.apple.com