Internet slow as dog for Mac, not for PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poppe, Apr 3, 2007.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

My internet at home kicks ass, 8mb, but when I come to my girlfriend's house she only has 5mb's, though I don't think that is the problem.

My Mac run's like a dog on her wireless network. When I am home mine works like a dream. Her computer works flawlessly on both networks.

So what gives. Why can't I get web pages to open up quickly like I can on her Dell.

Note: My computer MBP 17" C2D
    Wireless N not activated.

Her computer: Dell 1505 inspiron with centrino.

Her Router: a Linksys. Don't know the exact model at the moment.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Have you got Interface Robustness switched on? If so try turning that off. It's not normally needed, and can cause major slowdowns in transmission speeds.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Nope I don't have that on...

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I remember seeing a few threads about similar issues that seemed to be due to DNS server configurations. Searching for these threads might shed some light on the problem. If I remember correctly, using the DNS server suggested by your gf's internet provider might fix this.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Or even just allowing the router to assign one automatically.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm not really sure how to do any of that. I will try to search when I can get on to hers, but wep pages that I haven't already been to just kill me. So I thought I'd just post a new thread since It is the quickest and easiest way with this internet.

We both have the same internet provider with just different plans. How exactly would I go about making the Router assign me a DNS whatever

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It is due to the DNS server set up. I do not have my Mac in front of me, but You can find it by doing a google search for "DNS sever OSX" or something and you should get it. It's just putting in a static DNS server instead of having the computer find one for each page you access.

8. Queso macrumors G4

In System Preferences>>Network, select your Airport interface and click on Configure, then go to the TCP/IP panel. Make sure that IPv4 will be assigned Via DHCP and clear any DNS entries out of the DNS server's panel. You may need to turn off your Airport then on again so that it queries the router and gets the correct details.

9. cjhutch macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem as I use my powerbook in multiple locations. I tried using the OpenDNS settings to get a baseline and I found that to be the best solution.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

The Airport's IPv4 is already set on "Using DHCP"

Where do I clear out the DNS Entties?

What is this you are talking about?

11. Queso macrumors G4

Just under the IP address details is a box named DNS Servers. It needs to be empty.

12. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I disagree. Whenever I have this problem, manually entering a Tier-1 ISP's DNS servers, such as Verizon's, usually makes everything go fast.

Entering it just like that.

13. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok yeah that is empty as well. Always has been...

Oh crap hope its not dangerous to have that picture on there...

Attached Files:

14. Queso macrumors G4

Just try turning your IPv6 off and see if that helps. And that pics okay, it's an RFC1918 address. Unrouteable from the Internet. Your actual IP address is on your router.

15. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok I did that. Still Pretty slow, but seems to be getting better. I can't tell if its my imagination or if it is actually getting better.

How do I find out which ones I need to put in.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Put them all in, on a separate line for each.

17. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

But how do I know which numbers to put in. Are the ones you listed a general that should work for anyone or?...

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes just put all of them in. Just copy and paste the block of numbers.

19. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

my internet has been slow on my MBP as well lately....i was beginning to think that it's safari...

20. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh I refuse to use safari. I'm new to macs. Only owned a Mac for about 6 months now and have only been off and on Macs for about a year and a half now and I absolutely refuse to even touch safari. Every time I've tried using safari I'd get web pages to load like I was running 56k. It'd always load 3/4ths the way and then get stuck there. I'd sit for a couple of minutes and nothing.

I find this odd because I'll I ever hear are good things about safari and all my friends all use it. They actually hate firefox, but I just can't seem to get away from the problems of slowness from safari.

By doing this will it make my computer vulnerable or by turning of the IPv6 will my computer be vulnerable?

21. mattibek macrumors member

This is a good thread. I have been having the same problem with 15" MBP. I agree with you about Firefox it seems to run much faster than Safariand plays better with some websites. But to get back to the point. I had the problem ever since I added the WWAN update and then heard that others have had this same problem with the update. Wish I hadn't updated but I will try these things and see if it helps.

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Vulnerable to what? Just forget your worries and do it. Don't turn of IPv6 until you try this.

23. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Well I did what you said but already had the IRv6 turned off and it is working like a dream now.

And I don't know anything about networks. I mean I know how to set one up and everything but about keeping it safe and all this IRv4 and IRv6 and DCHP and DNS I have no clue what they mean. Sure I've had them explained a little but still don't really get them. So that's why I am asking if it makes my network vulnerable, or would someone be able to access my computer now.

The one downside I keep finding about safari is that it loads a little pretty slow after a restart or shutdown. Pretty sure this is my computer exclusively though.

24. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh well if it's already working then no need to try fixing it anymore.

25. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Cool. Thanks alot!!! That was really a pain to wait so long for the internet to load up. Thanks!