Internet Speed Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ozman712, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

Mar 6, 2006
    I have a question that I don't really understand. I am running DSL and sometimes the internet is very slow. When this happens I go to and check my speed. I always have very high speeds when I do these tests, but this never translates into real world speed. I understand that when you download a file the speed is dependent on both your speed and the speed of the server you are downloading from. But for instance, I am downloading a file from Apple (very fast servers) and I am getting 15 KB/sec, but the speed test says I am getting 1306 kbps. What is wrong with this and why is this happening?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    There are many servers that sit between you and the site you're connected to, so the speed you get will be limited by the slowest server in that chain. Also if the Apple servers are getting hammered like they would be today, then they will slow down. The speed test sites will give you an indication of your best theoretical connection speed, but it's a crapshoot whether you obtain it or not on a given website at a given time.