Internet Speed

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by blvdeast, Mar 9, 2004.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

I got an old pc without windows on it so I decided to install Mandrake. It worked fine. But as I downloaded from Bit Torrent, my max download speed was about 10kbs, and I was told that Bit Torrent is usually a very fast service that might even not allow the browser to work. I have a cabel connection with 5mb/s max speed and when I downloaded mozilla, I got speed of 300kbs. I installed Broadband Opt. form versiontracker, but not helping the Bit Torrent. Anyone use Bit Torrent and can offer their expriences with speed. But generally I think that my old windows, and now mandrake is a lot faster online the my mac

2. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

get away from that :( that is bad i for one will not suport that or you
    but i think you maby be capped

3. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

Get away from what? Bit Torrent, or the Broadband Opt.?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BitTorrent is not like downloading from the web, it is downloading parts of the file from anyone who cares to share ("seed") it. If there is only one person seeding with 10kbps upload speed, it wont matter how fast you are, you will only download as fast as the seeder can upload.

5. blvdeast thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that, but when i am "connected to 22 peers" and getting 10kbs, while I hear from window users getting mostly 100+ kbs. I just want to know if the osx itself might slow down the connection. So far I base these numbers downloading Mandrake and Lindows

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

the 22 peers might all be on dialup...who knows...

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

there have been times while I was using torrent that I would be downloading from 2 or 3 peers and getting over 200k and other times I would be downloading from 20 or more and getting .5k. the internet is a patchwork of different speeds and the sooner you accept that the sooner you can enjoy it.

8. hob macrumors 68020

hob

I've never been able to get higher than about 20kbps and most of the time i'm between 0.3 and 3!! I have a 600kbps connection for god's sake!!

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

On my Linux box I was trying to get the Red Hat 9 isos (CD images) via bittorrent, and got maybe 4k downloads - dialup speeds in other words (I was on a 100mb line at the time).

Bittorrent is still pretty new, and I am guessing they don't have the distribution mechanism anywhere near optimized yet.

10. claytonbench macrumors member

I have the same problem when i am on a computer behind a firewall. What I do is forward the specific bit torrent ports to my computer and it works like it should.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have gotten multiple 100+kbps easily with bt. on a cable connection.

12. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

The download speed usually increases with time, as more people seed. Connection to many peers doesn't mean anything. I've been connected to just one, and had 100kb/s. Firstly limit your upload speed (click the little minus sign in the top right hand corner of the BT window), then make sure you aren't behind a NAT.

THen, make sure your firewall allows communication on ports 6881-6889.

That all should help. But i think 10kbs is great on BT. I'm usually at around 3.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The seeders are only the people who have the entire file and left the app open...you also download from everyone else who is downloading. The people downloading will download parts of the file that other downloaders have already, but they do not.

14. noht* macrumors member

i'd like to add that bittorrent is designed to make leeching as difficult as possible. this means: the faster you're uploading, the more download speed you get. when you have just started getting a file, you don't have anything to upload, so dl speed will mostly be low at the beginning.
    also, check to see that bittorrent's ports are reachable form the outside if you're behind a firewall/NAT (as already mentioned).
    i'm usually able to fully saturate my 2Mbs ADSL connection with bittorrent.

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

edit: Nevermind. I thought you were trying to d/l Mandrake.