internet thru bluetooth phone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeCuse44, Dec 19, 2006.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Has anyone used their bluetooth headset for wireless internet access? I have an LG VX8300 that has access to broadband connections. I linked my phone to my MB thru the bluetooth to send and receive files thru bluetooth setup (which i havent used yet, but each device has found the other). So my question is when im away on vacation, can i use my phone to access the internet via bluetooth? If so, how would i go about doing this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be quite easy. I tried it once and I don't even think I followed all of Apple's steps. :)

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's not a simple as it could be. Took me hours to get mine running. First of all you need to locate some modem scripts for your phone. I got mine from here.

Then you need to work out what sort of access you have. I only have access to GPRS. I needed to find out the "number" to dial, the username, password, address etc for my provider. They did not provide this info.

Once it's working GPRS is painfully slow anyway!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... My Motorola L6 was only too happy to connect me. It didn't need any modem scripts. In just asked if I wanted to use it as a modem. Must be quite different for different phones. I agree though, it's pretty slow. :eek:

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think it depends on whether your provider has GPRS setup as a dialup style service or not.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

According to CNet, Verizon had never completely made full on their promise to make the 8300 a modem capable bluetooth phone; it was going to require a software flash they never publised.

7. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44