Internet Thru BT phone (Dial-up)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Bunzi2k4, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

How do i do that? i've tried setting up my phone as a bluetooth modem, and it gives me a lot of problems saying could not connect ect. I can dial the number, and it immediately ends... what do i do? I have a Sony Ericsson T616. Is there a special setting, or something i need to download?

thanks

Bunzi2k4

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I found a site that gives excellent instructions on how to use it as a modem, either dial-up or GPRS. I wish I could remember what it was. It also had a bunch of modem scripts for the various phones. If you can get a hold of the script, all you need to do is add Bluetooth in the Network pref pane, and then connect with Internet Connect (the app). I've done this a few times on the MBTA Commuter Rail, and the connection is reliable as long as you have a signal. In fact, I think it's more reliable for IRC than my connection at school :p

3. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/ is that what you are talking about? i've taken a quick look, but i haven't found much information from there...

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's the one! :)

5. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm i don't see a lot of information on how to do it... i'll take a closer look at it...

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

i had similar problems when i was setting up my SE616. Then I called Sony ericsson technical support, and he just asked me to connect to a different number (!!!), he gave me that no. for AT&T. And that worked too. I asked him why it wasnt workin with my ISP and he said its related to the speed of my ISP or something..he wasnt sure too.. So the moral of the story, :) call SE technical support.
    cheers

7. monolith macrumors newbie

If you have t-mobile...

Setup a bluetooth modem then use this info:

Telephone #: *99#
    Account Name: your cell phone #
    Password: whatever your password is that you use to login to t-mobile.com.

Under the configuration for the modem, in the TCP/IP tab (this is in networking, then you choose the bluetooth option and do configure) - Configure IPV4 should be "using ppp"

under the ppp tab you put the info i have above, and under ppp options turn off echo packets.

no need for proxies, under bluetooth modem, you choose "ericsson infrared" enable error correction, wait for dial tone.

This is how i got my t610 to work in hawaii when i'm on the beach.

PS - the phone needs to be paired before you do any of this.

Have fun. Ask if you need anymore help.

PPS - This is for using wireless internet, not dialup. I highly suggest it - I think it's 10 bucks a month for unlimited http/imap/pop3. If you need other things I think the 20 buck plan is unlimited everything. I typically get about 4-5kB/s, the only issue is latency, takes a bit for those packets to go around. ;)

8. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to say it, but i use cingular... but the settings are helpfull... another thought. Cingular has 2 internet options. 1: it uses the WAP connection.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25420 i've read through this document, and have no understanding of it whatsoever. if i suscribe for the the WAP service, (here is the faq http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice/wi_user#wifaq) would i be able to get internet using the wireless internet (WAP) instead of suscribing for the GPRS? if i can dial up to aol or something, that would be great. if i could use this WAP function that would be good too. If i have to use GPRS, then forget it...

Hope i gave you guys enough information... i'll give cingular a call, but i am not sure what to ask yet... thanks for your help guys...

9. monolith macrumors newbie

WAP won't help you unless Cingular is even more screwed up than I thought they were (and I think they are pretty terrible). GPRS is what I use, personally. You can do dial-up, but I've heard different claims as to the success of it, stability, and so forth. The settings I gave you should work for normal dialup too, just use the phone/username/pass that your ISP gave you. AOL requires a client I think, but something like earthlink you should be able to get away with.

10. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

nope... doesn't work... i get a "No carrier detected. Please check phone line connection and try again"

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm certain that for AT&T, you do not put in a phone number, and I'm pretty sure that WAP is carried over GPRS...

12. monolith macrumors newbie

WAP is carried over GPRS, but if you sign up for WAP service, they aren't (unless f*d up) going to provide full IP service. Just enough to access WAP based sites (so possibly all port 80 connections from the computer/phone - all http). I don't know at&t, i wouldnt use any company but tmobile unless i was in a no service location. AT&T and Cingular both suck unless you need access in remote/empty locations, and t-mobile is even expanding to them.

You might do as one suggested before and call customer support, they might have some strange settings or something that is not common to the default (I run updated firmware, and am not service branded). Good luck!

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i use sonyericsson t68i and configuring the internet connection was not so difficult. it took me 10 minutes to figure it out:

1) get your phone ready (set up a data account). you might need to contact your cellular company's customer service and ask for the information you need. here in finland i just sent one sms message to automated customer service and got my phone set up automatically, but settings can be set straight into the phone also. my settings were put into CID#1, and this is the number you will need to remember later on.

2) pair up your phone with your computer. disable address book pairing before trying to open the internet connection. if pairing succeeds, you can tell that there cannot be anything wrong in the bluetooth connection so you can rule that out in troubleshooting.

3) get your computer ready. open network preferences - bluetooth, and set up a ppp account. my service provider doesn't require account name/password, so i simply put in the telephone number *99***1# where the number one is the CID number where i have the cellular settings stored in my phone. for bluetooth modem settings i didn't do any changes after selecting the "ericsson infrared" profile from the list.

4) open internect connect and dial up. the first thing your computer does is bluetooth pairing, and if that succeeds, it tells your phone to make a gprs connection according to settings in selected CID profile. if you have correct settings in phone, it just works.

14. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Even with those settings, I get a "No carrier detected"...