Interplanetary Internet!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, May 5, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that would be cool if in the 2000 we could be on the moon and download digital audio and video!

oops, i forgot we're not on the 60's:p

2. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

huh? Don't follow what you're trying to say.

I just think its quite cool that the communications protocol that they're going to use is based on the internet. Although it will be interesting to see what sort of data rates they end up with. Hopefully by the time it acutally is used frequently, that won't be an issue.

D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you Duke, that is very interesting. Now we have one more item in place that in needed for our exploration of space.

Very intresting item now I know the co-founder of TCP/IP Vin Cerf and the person know as the real "father of the Internet." ;)

4. cc bcc macrumors 6502

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, well, obviously pinging an IP for jupiter would have a modified time out - but if you think about it, since you'd have to wait minutes to connect off planet, you wouldn't be able to do ftp easily - something else would have to take place - most likely mirror servers that get updated regularly - for those things that would be required. Real time surfing off planet websites wouldn't be possible. Even the moon would seem a bit slow with the 8 second or so delay.

But email would be almost the same.

D

6. cc bcc macrumors 6502

I guess we have to overcome other, more serious problems first.. Like getting there. :D

I chat with planets baby.

7. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

true, but even before people get there, there's nothing wrong with using ip packets as a method of communicating with rovers and robotic probes. We're planning on sending dozen of probes to Mars, asteroids, Jupiter and Saturn and their moons and maybe even Pluto.

D

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i can imagine a conversation with astronaut in space in thew year 2525. damn this pluto connection! it's only 100MBPS! and i keep on getting more and more spam every day!

9. cc bcc macrumors 6502

You're right. I'm pro space exploration. I really don't mind paying part of my tax for this. As a kid I thought I might live to see interesting things like commercial space travel. At 26, I'm a bit sceptical about the possibility to personally visit the Moon or Mars.
    There are just so many things we need to improve and investigate first (even small things such as data transportation protocols).

Somehow the time for great leaps in technology seems to be over. Perhaps I was just more easily impressed as a kid..

10. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

same here. when i was 8 or 9, i wanted to go to mars. not the moon, just mars. it was just so cool. but now as i sit here at my old iMac, i have realized my grandkids might not even get there in thier lives. it's amazing how much 6 or 7 years can make in common sense.