Interview mics

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by raykay22, Jul 13, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2011
    New England, US
    I interview and record people's life stories. I have an Air, which I love, and am seeking advice in purchasing 3 clip-on mics and an audio interface. Does anyone have any direct experience with this set-up? Which mics/interface would be best for this situation? Budget limited to approximately $200. Thanks.
  2. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    It will be hard, no impossible to buy three microphones and an auto interface for $200 total. The budget is unrealistic.

A decent audio interface with four mic inputs will cost over $200.

One other thing, Ar you shooting video or is this just audio? If there is no video that why use the smaller microphones?
  3. macrumors 68000

Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    I have been using an Akai EIE Pro 24 bit 4 channel interface with my MacBook Air and have been happy with it. But it cost $250. They make a similar product that only records in 16 bit for about $150 and it might be good enough:

But the $45 you have left isn't going to get you very far with microphones and cables....

If you could scale back to two microphones you might come a little closer to your budget. I also have one of these and it's fine. Also has the advantage of being USB powered so no "brick" is needed:

That would leave $125 for the mics and cables. I still doubt that you could do it for $200 though. You definitely need a bigger budget.
  4. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2007
    America's Third World
    It wouldn't be a high-end solution (by today's standards), but since you set a $200 budget, you could check out the Alesis iO4 4-Channel, recording interface, which can usually be found for around $100 online.

Add some inexpensive lavalier/lapel microphones and cables and you'd still come in under budget.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2013
    Minnesota, United States

Is the interview audio your finished product or simply a means to an end (i.e. is it reference material with which you write a story or something)? What I'm really asking is if high quality audio is particularly important or if a solution that simply provides acceptable intelligibility is good enough.

If the finished product is just the audio recording, then the previous posters are quite right: your budget is insufficient. Like ChrisA mentioned, I would highly recommend against lavalier-style microphones unless they're entirely needed.