Interview of Phil Sulak of Westlake regarding Halo Mac port.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacBytes, Sep 9, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Does anyone else find this weird that it will run on a Xbox, but not My FP iMac?!?!?!?!!?

:eek: :confused:

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Not surprising at all. Microsoft bought Bungee and Halo with it, and made them delay BOTH the Mac and PC versions, in order to boost the XBox. Now they are permitting the other versions to be completed.

3. frescies macrumors regular

yea...

I remember when Apple introduced the guy from Bungie who was working on the project in its later stages (before the buyout, and the delay) at some expo of some sort. He came out on stage and played Halo on the big screen. It was amazing back then. And he promised it would have a simultaneous release :(.

4. sketchy macrumors regular

Re: yea...

that sucked so much... completely unfair.. there were playable multilayer mac beta's available. I think it was demo's on a G3 at macworld./ MacAddict had ti on one of their CD's. I refused to buy an xbox because of the whole bungie buyout. I LOVED marathon

I think it is a shame that they killed the company.. and by company i mean the creative forces behind it. I don't know how many left, but microsoft had more than a few bungie desserters.

Dave
    (am I stilla newbie?)

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Nope. The XBox was designed for games thus it had a nice graphics chipset built-in. The iMac has a graphics chipset that gets by, but with not-so-hot performance.

6. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

I think its more to do with the fact that a)Xbox games are at 640X480 while most PC games run at higher res and therefore need faster chips/higher bandwidth and b) with Xbox you don't have to worry about programming "to the metal" because its a static system...you are guaranteed a non-changing platform and *can* if done right, extract an order of magnitude more performance than from any PC/Mac...I am sure they are cleaning out a lot of fast-on-Xbox but unusable-anywhere-else code, and replacing it with more general cross-platform stuff. It takes time...

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

just to make a comment the xbox has a 733 and geforce3 chip, i have read this optimized pure game machine was equal to about a 933. and since its 640x480 everything does very well. i would say since most games are cpu bound you will need at least 1 gig g4 to be in the game with at least a geforce3 video card, not 2mx or 4mx.

8. lewdvig macrumors 65816

The XBox plays this at NTSC resolution. Considering that it has a 700MHz PIII and a GF3+ card (slightly better than a GF3 Ti 500), I am not surprised at all.

You won't be able to play at your native TFT resolution, but lower res should be no problem.