Intresting Rev. info

Discussion in 'Games' started by iRhyknow, Jan 14, 2006.

1. iRhyknow macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    All this came from IGN...

I am really excited about the Revolution. :D

First Glimpse: Revolution's Virtual Console
    How might the game download service work? An official marketing survey may offer new insight.
    by Matt Casamassina

January 11, 2006 - An official survey conducted for Nintendo of America by marketing company Zanthus may shed new light on Revolution's "Virtual Console" concept. The website took part in the online questionnaire, which offered a more in-depth look at the game download system for Nintendo's next-generation console than has previously been seen. The survey even featured mocked-up artwork representing how the graphical user interface for the process may look and function. The concepts below are by no means final, but nevertheless Zanthus prepared these materials based on direction from Nintendo of America and therefore they should not be discounted.

The survey featured eight different mock-ups, each showing different features of Revolution's "Virtual Console" setup. The questionnaire began at a mocked-up Revolution homepage - possibly the same destination retrieved when gamers press the still-mysterious "home" button on the console's controller. Located on this hub menu are four options, including Settings, Memory Cards, Parental Controls and - the focus of this article - Virtual Console.

For those who haven't been following Nintendo's new platform, the concept of the "virtual console" describes Revolution's game download service. The Big N's highest-ranking executives have publicly stated that Revolution will not only be able to wirelessly connect online, but that players will also be able to directly download some of their favorite NES, S-NES and N64 classics. The specifics of this service have up until this survey remained completely speculative.

According to the enclosed mock-ups, once the "Virtual Console" option has been selected, Revolution owners are asked to choose a system for its corresponding games. NES, S-NES and N64 are the available options, which is appropriate since GameCube titles cannot be downloaded via this service; Revolution is able to play GCN software, but gamers must first own the original discs. Users seeking to download and play the classic Kid Icarus would obviously select the NES option, just as those hoping to get their hands on Pilot Wings 64 would go with the N64 icon.

Once a console is selected, a catalog of software presumably becomes available - at least, based on what we can ascertain from the enclosed mock-ups. From here, users have the freedom to browse the catalog and either buy or rent software. We expect that if Revolution owners rent software, they are able to download it for a pre-specified time before it expires and is no longer functional. In contrast, if they choose to buy it, it is stored permanently in their "My Library" folder, which is also shown in concepts. Based on these mock-ups the system may utilize a point structure similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live architecture. Once a game has been rented, purchased and downloaded, it is fully emulated and playable in its entirety.

Evidently the study highlighted three different pricing structures. The first was a subscription based package that would enable users to rent and play any game they wanted for $14.99 per month. Meanwhile, NES titles were listed for approximately $2.99 and N64 titles for a more expensive $19.99. These numbers are naturally neither finalized nor confirmed by Nintendo itself.

The most interesting part of this questionnaire -- aside from possible prices -- is that Zanthus also included a list of preliminary software that is likely to be made available on Revolution's "virtual console" system early on. We've featured the list, which boasts everything from the original Metroid to the never-released-in-the-states Sin & Punishment for Nintendo 64. Check it out. If, after reading it, you're still not excited, you've got much more self control than we do.

NES Games

* Balloon Fight
    * Baseball
    * Donkey Kong
    * Donkey Kong Jr.
    * Dr. Mario
    * Duck Hunt
    * Excitebike
    * Hogan's Alley
    * Ice Climber
    * Ice Hockey
    * Kid Icarus
    * Kirby
    * Kung Fu
    * Mario Bros.
    * Mario Open Golf
    * Metroid

* Pinball
    * Pro Wrestling
    * Punch Out
    * RC Pro AM
    * Soccer
    * Super Mario Bros.
    * Super Mario Bros. 2
    * Super Mario Bros. 3
    * Tennis
    * Tetris
    * Urban Champion
    * Volleyball
    * Wario's Woods
    * Yoshi's Cookies
    * Zelda
    * Zelda (Adventure of Link)

S-NES Games

* Battle Clash
    * Donkey Kong Country
    * Donkey Kong Country 2
    * Earthbound
    * F-Zero
    * Illusion of Gaia
    * Killer Instinct
    * Kirby's Avalanche
    * Kirby Dream Course
    * Kirby Super Star
    * Kirby 3
    * Pilot Wings
    * Sim City
    * Star Fox
    * Stunt Race FX

* Super Mario Kart
    * Super Mario RPG
    * Super Mario World
    * Super Metroid
    * Super Play Action Football
    * Super Scope 6
    * Super Soccer
    * Super Tennis
    * Tetris Attack
    * Tetris 2
    * Uniracers
    * Vegas Stakes
    * Wario's Woods
    * Yoshi's Hunting
    * Yoshi's Island
    * Zelda

N64 Games

* Blast Corps
    * Bomberman 64
    * Cruisin' USA
    * Goldeneye
    * Mario Golf 64
    * Mario Party 3
    * Mario Tennis 64
    * Ogre Battle 64

* Paper Mario
    * Pilot Wings 64
    * Pokemon Snap
    * Sin & Punishment
    * Star Fox 64
    * Super Mario 64
    * Wave Race
    * Yoshi's Story
    * Zelda

We attempted to take part in the survey, too, but were promptly denied access. After contacting Zanuth and requesting entry to the questionnaire, the company's founder and CEO, David Edwards, explained that it was a private study and never intended for press.

"Thanks for your inquiry about participating in our survey on the Nintendo Revolution's 'Virtual Console' service. I'm sorry to inform you, however, that this survey is intended for a general gaming audience rather than industry professionals," he stated. "In addition, our agreement with Nintendo stipulates that the content of this and other, similar surveys can't be released to the press. This agreement extends to our survey respondents. It is unfortunate some survey respondents have broken their agreement with us by posting select research stimuli."

Edwards also reinforced to us that all mock-ups contained within the survey are unfinished and do not necessarily represent the interface for Revolution's virtual console. "Please note that these materials are preliminary in nature and as such, subject to change," he said.

"Nintendo is considering a variety of options for the virtual console service for our next console, code-named Revolution, although details have not been announced at this time," Nintendo of America said in a statement today. "In our normal course of business, Nintendo conducts consumer research for many of our products with information and imagery that do not represent actual product specifics."

Nintendo is expected to reveal much more about its still-codenamed Revolution console, including details about its virtual console functionality, at this May's Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles.
  2. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    This is a bit old, and it was carried out by a 3rd party company. Although I'd love to be playing Goldeneye on my Revolution I still have my doubts about this.

One reason why I don't believe this is the launch line up. I didn't think Rare would be supporting Nintendo in the home console front (They said they'd be releasing DS games though). Also there are some SNES games in there that I've never heard of! I was an avid gamer back then. I dunno. It just doesn't seem right.

Another new rumour is that old games will be on the same medium as new games. Apparently it ties in with a Patent made by Nintendo a day or 2 ago.

Too many rumours flying around. I'd like to believe the same medium rumour, coincides with my belief all along that buying a new game will unlock old games for download. Maybe it will be a combination of both? Buy a Rev game, get the old games free, or just buy the old games with real money or Nintendo's age-old virtual currency; the Stars.
  3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    Just for information's sake, all those SNES games really were SNES games.
    Though some of them suck horribly and do not deserve a place in a poll.

like SIM CITY :eek:
  4. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Mar 7, 2004
    OK, USA
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    But Sim City revamped with the pointer might be interesting.
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    After a bit of thinking...

Rare have been known to like the Revolutions controller. It feels like they know they've made a mistake by jumping to Microsoft, they keep saying that they are very interested in the DS and the Revolution. The fact that, if the game list is real, there are Rare games there signals interest from the ex-Twycross based team.
    I wish Rare would come back with a game as legendary as their earlier titles. I have a feeling one day they'll be back on top form but it will not be with Microsoft. It will be home.
  7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    well those unfinalized prices are absolutely rediculous for the N64, it would be cheaper at this point to just buy an N64 and the actual game!
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I am suspicious about it though. Nintendo usually carries out their own surveys. I've never heard of them surveying through a third party.
  9. iRhyknow thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    It seems very odd to me also, but IGN is usually spot on. I cant imagine the story not being legit. I do think it will be pretty different at US launch. Nevertheless I like the direction Nintendo is heading. The N64 stuff is way to high though.
  10. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2004
    It's funny, as awesome as the Virtual Console thing is, it's probably the least important feature on the Rev. That being said, being able to play all old Nintendo games is a much better feature than playing shiny games in HD like the 360.

It's all about that controller, guys. Anyone who's played Wario Ware: Twisted can tell you that.
  11. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I am REALLY looking forward to the Rev. I skipped on the GC, so I'm ready for a new console, and this concept of virtual games seems awesome. I have a real thing for the old school games, so it'll be great being able to play them all again. My only concern is the prices for some of them. $19.99, will mean about $30 here in Aus, which isn't really with it. But I'm optimistic it might not be that much.
  12. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa

That's the thing. Nintendo owns the PUBLISHING rights to Goldeneye - not RARE. Which means as long as Nintendo doesn't improve the graphics or change the code they can still distribute the original Goldeneye. Which means without RARE's consent they can't add support for the controller so a Shell will most likely have to be used.

It's kinda like how Terminator 1 is out for the PSP. Sony didn't get the rights from James Cameron to release the UMD.
  13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    But IGN doesn't seem to have any source or proof that it's an actual Nintendo marketting survey other than from the people claiming to have done the survey. I dunno, just seems fishy.
  14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Well, the cool thing is that Nintendo said they'll be giving out a lot of free download coupons all over the place- a new copy of Super Smash Bros might give you a coupon to download the N64 version, for example. They also filed an interesting patent I'll post tomorrow that apparently even allows them to put the virtual console games on a disk and copy them into the Rev's library, I guess (I had assumed they'd be only available online).
  15. Subliving macrumors member

May 31, 2005
    Leeds, UK
    I can't wait toi see the Revolution. Our house was broken into about a year ago, and they took my Gamecube, N64, and SNES, along with memory cards and all my games. :( I've never been able to replace them as it would have been far too expensive for me.

This'll be fantastic for those people who're having withdrawal symptoms from their old games!

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    so true. Touched was the first Wario Ware game I played and I got very addicted to it. I popped back into a few days ago and it's still addictive as hell- the Tetris syndrome. Its age old.

you might want to know, though you probably do, that the producer/creator/someone who had something to do with Wario Ware is making a Revolution game. god knows what it could be, heres hoping to a Wario Ware rev launch title! Which would just be too awesome.
  17. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Probably some Nintendo Junkies from Hull :D
  18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    An interesting link. The system overall looks like it will be good. And as those pictures were only mock-ups I am sure that the finished product will have a much greater level of polish (and a better color scheme). I imagine something like front row or the current gamecube bios will be what the finished product looks like.