Introduce penguins to the Canadian Arctic...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alxths, Mar 14, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

any reason why this wouldn't work? The only hurdle I can see is polar bears.. but penguins usually chill by the water and definately have PBs beat while swimming, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

So, yeah.... nevermind the rediculously expensive gun registry, let's get some penguins.

2. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, except for penguins not being native to the area...

Besides, puffins are close enough :p

3. macrumors 65816

Roger1

What would be the purpose in doing this?

4. macrumors 68020

idkew

it is not a good idea to introduce new species into an ecosystem.

5. macrumors 6502

Puffins definately have the cooler name, but they're just no comparison to penguins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

At least penguins would provide very interesting hunting. I can just imagine the new meaning for what is black and white and red all over.

7. macrumors 68020

Raid

Um well there are cheaper ways to feed the carnivorous fauna in the artic. Lets face it on land they would have to hide from foxes, bears, and wolves. Running isn't an option peguins are much too slow. Then in the sea they would have to contend with the seals (once they develop a taste for them). They would probably put up a good chase, but in the end a seal would have better endurance.

Mind you it would give the Inuit a good laugh. :)

8. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think you hit the nail on the head. They survive in the Antarctic because there are no land predators. However, some species are also found as far north as the Galapagos. There's probably a species that could survive, though they might have trouble competing with the puffins.

9. macrumors regular

Another group of species to wipe out when we start drilling in ANWR?

10. macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that Man shouldn't be moving animals to another area. We have seen many disasters in the past. Many create more damage than the problem that they were brought in to fix.

11. macrumors 6502a

ebow

Duh! So we could have real-life Chilly Willy episodes (for Nanook's family to enjoy, of course)! :D

12. macrumors 6502

\

Well then we'll give the penguins harpoon guns so they'll have a fighting chance. Im pretty sure polar bears are the only land mammels they'll have to worry about, so we'll coat the artic with a thin layer of sut, that way they'll see the bears coming form a mile away and will jus thave to lay on their bellies to be inivisible to any predators

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

14. macrumors 65816

Roger1

Oh yeah!! I used to watch him when I was a kid! Great cartoon.

15. macrumors 68020

Raid

I like your idea of using soot, it finally gives us a use for all that smog from Detroit! :) But I don't know about arming the penguins. Just imagine the increased incidences of snowmobile jackings!