Introducing: The iGame

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Mar 9, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I got a chuckle out of this. I am assuming that it is part of an April fools day joke by EGM.

http://stationa.net/?p=216

Kinda cool looking, though. I'd buy it (if they had any decent games, good music functionality, a video playback). Maybe a combination of original Apple (and 3rd party) little puzzle and quick/web type games, a licensed emulator for some older system (Sega? haven't heard much from them lately) with ROMs for download from iTMS. Didn't Apple hire a game designer or two a few months back?

Anyways, it's about 99.9% fake, but still fun. :)

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, but its ugly. that device is more on the side of the Origiami thing but still nice.

Bless

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I agree, it's an April fool's hoax. If Apple were going to do anything, it would be to port some games to the iPods they already sell.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, I thought it was actually pretty nice looking. A thinner, sleeker, (whiter ;)) GBA SP was the first that came to mind when I saw it.

The more I think about it more I wish they would do something like this. Having games on carts when you are traveling around is LAME. Storing your whole library [of games] on your computer, and grabbing a few TV shows/movies, a dozen games, and 1000 songs on the same little device would be, in a word, perfect. 6gb micro drive (or I suppose flash memory, but I'd rather see cheap than thin) should hold all of that (1000 songs = 4gb, 12 games, assuming they are something like GBA or 16bit era cart games = no more than 100mb, call it 250 to be safe, leaves 1.5 gb for video, assuming 500mb of "software" and formatting losses from the original 6gb).

5. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Lol. Kind of a nice idea though. If it was actually made it wouldn't be a bad idea to sell games via the iTMS as described in the article. Sort of like Nintendos idea to sell games from their older catalogue on a virtual store for the Revolution. Hopefully the big N can offer us something as stylish as the music store.

6. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

There was a rumor about a gMac once. An iMac with dual graphic cards.
    The chances of Apple making a hand-held gaming system.... About the same as Apple having a "Dual boot Windows Vista" option in the customize your Mac section.

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hrm, I dunno. Who knows where Apple will take the iPod over the next few years. Gaming is big money, and the iPod is big money... so who knows...

8. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I don't think Apple will make a dedicated gaming device.

Perhaps update the iPod to play games, like cellphones?
    Or maybe team up with Sony/Nintendo?

But not make an entirely new device lineup.

The guys over at EGM must be off the deep end.

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

April 1 only comes once a year, may as well start now :)

10. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I'll admit, that IS a really good idea.

I imagine Nintendo's interface would have to be something between Front Row (since it'll run on the Revolution and a TV, not a computer and monitor) and the iTMS. Hopefully it doesn't incorporate the WORST of those two things. :lol:

11. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

how funny would this be if apple's surprise at their 30th anniversary meeting was the igame. I doubt it but damn we would all be jaw droppingly shocked. :D

12. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I think it would take at least a week for people to believe it. We'll all keep waiting for Apple to shout "APRIL FOOLS! :D