Intuit getting sneaky?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

From an Informationweek article titled Isn't Tax Time Already Frustrating Enough?:
    Full story: http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030227S0008

On their site, Intuit implies that SafeCast does not gather information to transmit to Intuit. They say "It does not examine, modify, or gather information about your computer, your computer's contents, or your activities or behavior, nor does it transmit any such information to Intuit." But on another page they admit how it works: "When you install your TurboTax CD-ROM for the first time, numeric codes are sent to Intuit in exchange for an Activation Code." If you read carefully, they are probably making correct claims, but this over-defensive explanation is just the kind of thing that worries people who care about their privacy and security.

As a software developer, I understand that companies worry about protecting their software, but driving good customers away is bad business. I've already switched to TaxCut so I no longer use TurboTax for Macintosh (MacInTax), and Intuit isn't yet using a software security technique for their Macintosh products, but I think this article makes good points that Mac software developers and users should pay attention to.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Intuit is welcome to do whatever they want with their products. If they need other suggestions, I have one.

I switched to TaxCut last year. Unfortunately, they went to a higher-priced version instead of Deluxe. It's $39.99 for Platinum vs. the $24.99 for Deluxe last year. I like it though.

Now, if they'd just do a Quicken alternative. :)

3. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Ya, I got burned last year. I was doing some trial runs, trying to see what would give me the best outcome and next thing I knew, I had used up my 5 returns. I was like WTF? I paid $39 cdn for software I am only going to use once in my life, then they lock me out? Screw them. They can suck my left nut this year.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Umm...that kinda talk...because you gave the other last year for taxes?