Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last December, Intuit announced that it would be developing a version of its Quicken 2007 for Mac software compatible with OS X Lion, targeting "early spring" for a release. Quicken 2007 has remained a popular option for users of personal finance software despite its age, as Intuit opted to deploy a stripped-down Quicken Essentials for Mac in 2010 rather than continuing to update the full Quicken product for Mac. But with Apple's discontinuation of Rosetta in OS X Lion, applications such as Quicken 2007 that had been written for PowerPC-based Macs are incompatible with the latest operating system.

quicken_mac_lion_available.jpg

As quietly noted its Quicken for Lion FAQ updated today, the software is now available directly from Intuit. Priced at $14.99, Lion-compatible Quicken 2007 for Mac is available either by direct download or on CD.
Quicken Mac 2005 - 2007 data files will automatically convert into the Lion compatible version. If you're currently running Quicken Essentials for Mac on OS X 10.7 Lion, and have previously converted from Quicken 2005, 2006 or 2007 for Mac, you'll be able to migrate your Quicken Essentials transaction data to Quicken Mac 2007 OS X Lion compatible.
Migration of Quicken Essentials data into the Lion-compatible version Quicken 2007 for Mac is outlined in a support document.

Intuit's lack of support for the Quicken for Mac product line has sent customers searching for alternatives, with a number of other products such as iBank and Intuit's own Mint.com seeing some success in the market, although each of the products offers a slightly different set of features.

Intuit is clearly trying to keep some of its Quicken for Mac customers using the software under Lion, but it is unclear whether the company has a long-term plan to advance a Quicken product for Mac that offers features beyond those found in Quicken Essentials. Given that even the Quicken 2007 for Mac page recommends that new Quicken users opt for Quicken Essentials, it appears that the company is still planning to push the stripped-down Essentials package as its primary Mac offering for at least the time being.

Thanks, Marck!

Article Link: Intuit Releases Lion-Compatible Quicken 2007 for Mac

michaywood

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
u mean it's still 2007? Good thing they spent all that money upgrading their software...

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I am actually glad Intuit is so incompetent. Their lack of support for Macs forced me to ditch Quicken and switch to Moneydance. I had always been wary of moving to something new. Now I couldn't be happier!

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Why '2007'? Seems like they are focused on making some old software compatible than really adding any new features.

Kinda sad that we're in 2012 and most people still have to rely on such old software. I'm not saying it's a bad app (it's actually unrivaled in its category for the Mac), but come on...

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Funny how "Quicken" is five years late. Bye, Intuit. You lost my business LONG ago.

layton

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
They want me to pay $15 to make their un-updated 5 year old software run on a modern day computer?

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
I bought that software last year or 2 year ago, cant remember. But this is the worse thing I ever bought. Can't automatically update your bank info.
I switched to mint.com and the iPhone app is awesome as well, plus it's free.

no more intuit for me, thanks no

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Essentials is so bad and missing such elementary and easy to add features (like being able to look at your net income over time) that this actually does qualify as good news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.