Invalid Leaf count

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by okst8grad03, May 31, 2004.

1. okst8grad03 macrumors newbie

My iMac was acting strange so I ran disk utility. It tells me that I have an invalid leaf count, but it doesn't give me the option to repair it. How do I fix this? I am runing in OSX. Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You've encountered a disk problem that Mac OS X Disk Utility cannot fix. You have two options at this point: 1. Buy/use a third-party disk utility (such as Drive 10 or DiskWarrior) to repair your disk. 2. Back up your data, format the drive, and re-install Mac OS X.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reformatting your hard disk is the Windows solution. There is a Mac solution. The first thing that you should do is to boot into single-user mode. Run fsck from the command line. That may fix your problem. If that does not fix your problem, then you need to spend some money.

You really should have AppleCare. It is a great investment. AppleCare includes TechTools Deluxe. If you don't have AppleCare with TechTools Deluxe, then you should buy either Drive 10 or TechTools Pro along with DiskWarrior. In any event, you will need to boot from a CD to repair your damaged hard disk. The distribution CD of your utility is bootable. However, the OS on the CD may be older than the OS that shipped with your computer. If that is the case, you may not be able to boot from the utility CD. There is a free solution to this dilemma. You can use BootCD to create a bootable CD. It will automatically include Disk Utilities. You can add your favorite commercial utilities. The homemade CD will be slow, but it will work and work well. I used it just this past weekend with TechTools Deluxe and DiskWarrior to repair media damage to my hard disk.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I believe in AppleCare, and I have it on every one of the 600K worth of Macs I just bought. SEE THIS
    BUT, The included Tech Tool not only refuses to work, it actually freezes every Mac I try it on!
    Invalid Leaf counts are fixed by Norton best (IMHO)... just don't install anything!
    As for fsck, that's always been my favorite, and it works so often that I've stopped using 3rd party stuff. Remember, if journalling is on do the fsck -f.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you sure that TechTool Deluxe freezes. There were several times that I thought it was frozen, but the clock continued to work. Several times, however, I was sorely tempted to cancel the program. Eventually, it completed its magic, but it took a very long time. I have Norton SystemWorks 3.0. However, I am most reluctant to use it because I no longer trust Norton. As for fsck, you don't really have to remember anything. Darwin prompts the user how to use it on a journaled file system.

This bit of caution: I repaired permissions first. I ran fsck next. Everything checked out fine. Then I ran DiskWarrior. DiskWarrior reported a problem, but it "fixed" it. I then ran TechTools Deluxe. TechTools Deluxe reported a problem, but was able to "fix" it. The thing that concerns me is that I don't know if these "problems" are real or were they created by the utilities. Since I had no identifiable symptoms before, I am just a bit skeptical of the problems reported by my commercial utilities.

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Nah, it froze. Cursor wouldn't move, no sound at all, no spinning ball.... nothing. My assistant left it for a few hours thinking it was actually working. As for Norton, I feel your pain! Under OS9 nothing worked better for me except maybe diskwarrior. Under X I still plan on using nothing. Yeah, under journalling just do the -f and it forces... saves a step is all. Most I ever get is orphaned files on machines that are used and abused daily. On my 1.42 DP at home I have never run a thing besides permissions. Never have any issues. I just get the idea that 3rd party stuff is going crazy trying to sell a product that's not really needed, you know, like XP. :)