Inventories

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by rice_web, Jul 10, 2002.

1. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

I was looking at MacMall.com today, and I noticed that their inventory of PowerMacs has dropped significantly over the past couple of days. This adds credibility to the rumor of the PowerMacs being EOLed, but it also adds questions concerning the stories reported on C|Net and ThinkSecret.

After checking MacMall.com, I am certain that inventories of the PowerMac are not as great as they have been rumored to be. So, I'm am very confused by the rumors on C|Net and ThinkSecret, which stated the only reason for not releasing PowerMacs during MWNY was excess.

So, I've got a theory of my own. With Intel releasing faster chips in August, Apple will want to deliver its own punch in the same time frame. And to do this, they are going to use AMD's marketing strategy.

According to RailHeadDesign.com, the PowerMacs will be single 1GHz, dual 1.2GHz, and dual 1.4GHz. Now, because of the "dual factor", Apple can play the name game. The dual 1.2GHz could become the PowerMac 2400, and the dual 1.4GHz could become the PowerMac 2800.

This would effectively take a stab at the back of Intel, which will be releasing processors at 2.6GHz and 2.8GHz.

2. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

So essentially you're saying they could market like AMD. They'd call them PowerMac G4/G5 2400+ etc...

They should join AMD in a Intel bashing campaign. Let consumers know that it's "BS Inside." Just Kidding.

3. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

To add to what I had to say:

Intel is likely going to have P4s in excess of 3GHz by the end of the year, as they try to finish off AMD. However, the 7470, with its rumored 12 pipeline stages, could easily scale to 2GHz. So, here's my mini-roadmap.

August
    - Apple: Dual-1.4GHz x 2 = PowerMac 2800+
    - Intel: Up to 2.8GHz

November (yeah, I'm predicting updated PowerMacs in either October or November)
    - Apple: Dual-1.8GHz x 2 = PowerMac 3600+
    - Intel: 3.0-3.2GHz

With AMD's marketing strategy (sort of), Apple could actually pull ahead in the megahertz race. The funny thing, I think that people would actually be drawn to the PowerMac's naming scheme.

4. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Interesting point about the Aust. situation.... PowerMacs has been out of stock BUT backlog will be fill by the end of this week.

5. job macrumors 68040

job

I don't care anymore.

I'll wait a couple of more days/weeks to find out. Either way, the PowerMacs need an update, name or no name.

I'm just curious as to why you think they will actually rename the towers.

6. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Why wouldn't they rename the towers? In fact, I go so far as to say, they'll stop using the name "PowerMac" entirely. That name has been used so long, that more of a creative name is in store.

The iMac name must stay, as it registers in so many minds. However, "PowerMac" could go as easily as the failed dot coms.

Apple released the PowerMac G4 oh-so long ago, that they could use a new name, especially with a new processor core that is very different from their previous models. Sticking with the name "PowerMac" sounds old, just like their hardware.

7. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Would you prefer to follow the current trend and call it a ProMac?????

8. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

How about just Apple G5 2.4+ -Any other suggestions?

9. CountZero macrumors member

How about following the Xserve trend and name the new PowerMac, Xmac? Following this logic, the next rumored 1GHz PowerBook can also be renamed Xbook. Now that sound cool or what? :D

10. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

X-stuff

But evil microsoft has the evil X-Box

11. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Why not drop the "Mac" part of it? That's the pattern (if any) that the XServe is creating.

12. Cappy macrumors 6502

I'd like to see an sMac and then people could put the sMac(pronounced smack) down on Windows systems. ;)

By the way the PowerMac 2400 naming scheme would only confuse consumers who begin wondering what's going on. They might begin to wonder if the PowerMac 6300, 7500, 9600, and others they find on ebay are even faster.

And here's a wild idea that will surely draw flames from folks(only mentioning it now since someone commented on the Intel/AMD fight)...is Apple large enough to acquire AMD should they struggle against Intel? AMD technologically can do well against Intel even though they're struggling a little at the moment. It's their financials that are hurting in a big way. The interesting thing here is that AMD getting killed off whether they get acquired by Apple or not would likely help Apple as it was AMD that stoked the fires to get the cpu wars heated up. Quite honestly I think had AMD not done that the G4 would be much more competitive with Intel's showings. Also there's alot of good patents and technology that AMD owns that Apple could benefit from whether it be implementing it into a PPC cpu or moving toward that platform.

Granted it's all argumental but every other whacky idea gets mentioned on this board so why not that one? Feel the heat. ;)

13. Cappy macrumors 6502

Re: X-stuff

They also have .NET and if the rumors are true, we're going to be seeing .mac soon. I actually don't think an xMac is out of the question based on the x-box argument but to me it does sound rather silly. xServe actually sounds cool to me. :)

14. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Ha ha ha ha.....
    Steve will be the announcer for sMac down 2002. -Okay that was bad.

How about xPro or XG 5. I dunno, too much wine tonight. nighty night.

15. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

It's funny to see how everybody spells Xserve wrong. xServe, XServe, etc. I mean, it makes sense to write xServe because og iMac, iBook, iPod and eMac. But I think the reason behind Apple's choice to call it Xserve is to draw a line between the consumer and the pro market. PowerMac, PowerBook, Xserve... All starts with a capital.

Just a thought...

16. groov' macrumors regular

X or Xit

There's a server-, a pro- and a consumerline.

So the naming scheme should be:

Xserve (we have that already)
    Xpro (to be announced at the Xpo)
    Xmas (to be announced for the masses buying presents in december; maybe I'll buy one for my Xwife)

17. rice_web thread starter macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Wow, I just noticed that it is spelled Xserve. I always thought the 'S' was upper-case.

18. ZoodTube macrumors newbie

Amazon.com Inventories

More grist for the rumor mill:

If you go to Amazon.com and look in the Apple section, all Power Macs are listed as out of stock/discontinued. Actually, they only thing they do have in stock is an iBook.

19. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

You obviously did not see that StarGate episode where some guy (not a fan to know the names) lost his memory and started making a show about space travelers that went through this round gate. Anyway, he wanted to call it "Traveling to other planets" but he was advised that shows with the letter "X" gained more attention/ratings/popularity.

;)