Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trilsk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Hiya,
So I'm getting my MacBook Pro in May, and my parents recently took me into their Wine Distribution business here in Central Oregon. My job will be invoicing orders, computer technical support, and managing all incoming / outgoing stock. Now, I'm wondering if there is a program(s) that can do the following...

• Allow some sort of an item number based system. Showing current on hand and possibly more details. Such as past history regarding sales, and average unites sold per month
  • Allow me to view our cost, retail, case cost, case quanity, and case discounts for frequent buyers.
  • Would allow me to punch in a certain type of wine, and view similar year wines, grapes, vineyards etc. so that I could pull up similar product that I determine through my own needs.
  • Would show all incoming shipments (when I punch them in of course), and see when wines arrived, and left on our trucks.

I realize this is going to be a fairly serious inventory program, but I don't want any sort of stock miscounts when I'm dealing with cases of $10 to $100 bottles of wine. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
What you need is a Retail POS (Point of Sale) program w/ inventory, sales, purchasing, and database modules. THere are alot of them out there, it just depends on the level of complexity & scalability you want/need. There are several Mac-only apps, but many many more for Windblows. The best ones are based on either SQL or Filemaker. Or you could custom build your own with FileMakerPro, but that takes some serious, heavy duty work and a very steep learning curve !

Google = friend yours :)

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
SmurfBoxMasta said:
What you need is a Retail POS (Point of Sale) program w/ inventory, sales, purchasing, and database modules. THere are alot of them out there, it just depends on the level of complexity & scalability you want/need. There are several Mac-only apps, but many many more for Windblows. The best ones are based on either SQL or Filemaker. Or you could custom build your own with FileMakerPro, but that takes some serious, heavy duty work and a very steep learning curve !

Google = friend yours :)

Yeah that kind of cross-referencing would require database software. I really like FileMaker, but it does take some learning to get something customized (though it comes with a few templates that would probably work for you).

webcookie

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Brava Centauri
Google for POS systems. I know there are a few out there for Mac. I looked them up when I was trying to persuade my dad to change our store to all Mac and get rid of those horrid old Versyss systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.