Investigate this!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

As I read through various books, articles and internet threads, I am becoming amazed at the sheer number of transgressions that the Bush White House is committing. They are almost coming so fast that you can't keep up with them.

And it occurred to me that, if and when an Independent Prosecutor is appointed, he will have his work cut out for him.

(Yes, I know that the GOP continues to stonewall such an action...and that even if one is appointed, there's absolutely no assurance he'll be non-partisan. Nevertheless, the Talon News/Jeff Gannon/Valerie Plame thing is starting to make me believe, for the first time, that this thing is getting so out of control that they can't not eventually appoint an investigator.)

And so, purely as a mental exercise -- for the moment ;) -- let's all together try to compose a list of everything such an Independent Prosecutor might investigate.

Just off the top of my head, here are the ones I can think of:

(1) Talon News/Jeff Gannon/Valerie Plame. Precisely who gave Gannon his WH press credentials, and equally as important, why? Were they aware that said "reporter" had no real journalistic background? And that he was running a gay prostitution website? And most urgently of all, how did this pimp-cum-fake reporter (if you'll pardon the obvious pun :D ) come into possession of the documents that exposed Valerie Plame Wilson's identity as a CIA operative?

(2) The Plame Leak. With regards to Plame Wilson: Who provided her identity to Bob Novak? Rove? Cheney? Ashcroft? Who actually ordered it done? Bush himself? Who was (and continues to be) complicit in the coverup?

(3) Halliburton. How much does Dick Cheney continue to be involved behind-the-scenes in the procurement of business for Halliburton? What has happened to billions of dollars that were given Halliburton which are still unaccounted for? What effect did the Cheney-Halliburton connection have in persuading Bush to go to war?

(4) WMDs. How did it come to pass that "iffy" CIA information regarding WMDs came to be stated by the WH as utter truth? Who was responsible for selectively reporting/interpreting the CIA data?

(5) Bush's gubernatorial records. Even before Bush's first term, his records as governor of Texas -- the property of the state -- were shipped off to Texas A&M University, instead of the Texas State Library as required by law. Bush sought to block the return of the documents, and the chief librarian had to sue to get them back. They were returned piecemeal, however, with certain items deleted. Why?

(6) The suppression of dissent. Under the guise of "security", protesters at Bush events are required to be located miles from the site of the event, sometimes in metal cages. Is there any valid justification for this, or is this just suppression of dissent?

(7) Election fraud. During the 2000 election, the company that was hired to manage the voter rolls for Florida was not only ordered to purge the names of felons, but people whose names resembled those of felons. Also, Texas (surprise!) supplied Florida with another list of alleged felons purportedly living in Florida. Many of these people were not actually felons, but were nevertheless denied the right to vote. Most of these people were black, and would probably have voted for Gore, and thus swung the election the other way. Why has this not been fully investigated? Why did Republican appointee Clarence Thomas cast the deciding vote in stopping the Florida recount? Was it quid pro quo?

Now, these are just the ones I can think of right off. Feel free to add anything you can think of. I have a feeling a comprehensive list will be extremely long. And don't limit yourself to criminal activities. Any form of malfeasance, misfeasance and nonfeasance are potentially impeachable matters.

2. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

As much as I like NPR, they have not covered this at all. As much as they are derided for being left wing, they seems to stick to the topics of the day only.

The fact that Kos (members) are the only people pressing this issue it telling of the so called Liberal media.

The "media" seemed to have collectively lost their direction out of the fear of being singled out.

Eventually, one of these outlets may realize that the notoriety gained from being unpopular with Karl Rove and Karen Hughs is what 48% of this country is waiting for right now.

48% just being a starting number, Bushs approval ratings are not all that high and would probably be lower if there was a major media outlet who dared to do after him.

Everyone is scared of the bully right now. The best way to deal with a bully is to fight back. The Presidency is not a position of invulnerability.