Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
I'm looking to become more competent in money and naturally investing seems to be part of such. I'd like to learn more about stocks, the market and what types of investing options there are.

In short, can any of you recommend sources, literature or other pertaining to the subject matter? I've read online info and browsed some of the thousands of books at local stores and online. I will be pursuing my MBA starting at the end of this month, and any advice (if related) concerning this is welcome also.

Thanks in advance.

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
Investing is kind of a personal thing. You need to find out what works for you. How much of a risk you are willing to take? Are you looking for short term, or long term gains?

Start out with the basics. Get an Investing for dummies type book to learn the basic lingo, etc.

Investing is like clothes. It may look good on some people, but not on all.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
makisushi said:
Investing is kind of a personal thing. You need to find out what works for you. How much of a risk you are willing to take? Are you looking for short term, or long term gains?

I'm looking at long-term, reliable gains with perhaps some short-term, low-risk experimentation. I'll take a deeper look into the "For Dummies" book. I was somewhat turned off from that line after I passed my beginner phases in Windows and PC-related topics. I suppose it's only logical I return to them given my ignorance of the subject matter now at hand.

Thanks for posting.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I would consider myself a very experienced investor, and would offer any advice you may need, however the topic is so far-reaching and expansive, it would take an awful long time! It would be better for you to do some research first and then ask specifc questions which can be better addressed. Otherwise I could write pages on investing. ;)

One site you might want to check out is Investopedia - it's pretty good in terms of articles, definitions of investing terms, and they even have a portfolio simulator.

Otherwise, if you want the good stuff, get Investors Business Daily. The WSJ is good as well.

As for options, there are lots of them out there, pretty much all of which I have experience with - stocks, bonds, mutual funds (ick), flow through entities, limited partnerships, income trusts, convertible debentures, ForEx, options (covered and uncovered puts, calls, etc.), the list goes on and on...

All that being said, you need a good fundamental knowledge for starters to make sense of everything. If you don't understand the simple fundamentals of a company such as P/E, NAV and EPS, you shouldn't be investing in them. A basic knowledge of finance, accounting and economics helps as well. Do your homework, as with anything else, and you'll be better off for it in the long run. :cool:

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
~Shard~ said:
All that being said, you need a good fundamental knowledge for starters to make sense of everything. If you don't understand the simple fundamentals of a company such as P/E, NAV and EPS, you shouldn't be investing in them. A basic knowledge of finance, accounting and economics helps as well. Do your homework, as with anything else, and you'll be better off for it in the long run. :cool:

Thank you, much appreciated.

EDIT: The link you provided has lots of good info, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Seasought said:
Thank you, much appreciated.

EDIT: The link you provided has lots of good info, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Not a problem at all Seasought. Once you get your feet wet and have some questions, feel free to ask them either in this thread, of via a PM. I'm busy, but always try and make time to help people out - especially when it comes to a subject which I have a great deal of experience with and passion for. :cool:

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
~Shard~ said:
Not a problem at all Seasought. Once you get your feet wet and have some questions, feel free to ask them either in this thread, of via a PM. I'm busy, but always try and make time to help people out - especially when it comes to a subject which I have a great deal of experience with and passion for. :cool:

Hey thanks a lot. I'll take you up on that offer. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Seasought said:
Hey thanks a lot. I'll take you up on that offer. :D

I honestly hope that you do - it is better to ask questions than to go down dark alleys on your own, so to speak. If you have someone else's knowledge and experience at your disposal, might as well take advantage of it. ;) :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.