Invisible folders and CD tray eject

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by benpope, May 29, 2003.

1. benpope macrumors newbie

The desktop folder on my PowerBook G4 (400) is invisible, so I can't open files from it in Sherlock or from my desktop G4 (dual 1Ghz) via ethernet. How do I make it visible? (Powerbook runs OS9.1.1 US, desktop 9.2 UK)

Also the CD eject button on the keyboard won't always open the tray. This is a major pain, and maybe there's a standard way of coping with this?

The OS thing is because I bought the powerbook in the US, but I am resident in the UK and don't know how to upgrade to 9.2 without a US disk. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ben.

2. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, if the file is invisible you can use FileBuddy for both 9 and X which can edit the files visibility and a few other things.

3. benpope thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - but why is it invisible in the first place? I didn't make it invisible, so surely there should be some way within the Mac Os of changing it?

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

If you view an OSX volume in OS9 or earlier, your desktop should not be invisible. Just to make sure, you were looking under:

MacintoshHD>Users>YourUsername>Desktop.

Maybe when you logged in to the HD, you were logged in as guest or other user? You don't seem to spoil us with details... ;)

5. benpope thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to be honest, I don't know what else I can say that is more detailed, other than when I open sherlock and ask it to find a file, if that files is on the desktop it will not open when I double-click it from within sherlock. It gives the error message that the files is inside an invisible folder.

When I open the powerbook HD from the desktop G4 via ethernet, I don't see "desktop folder" as I do when I open the desktop HD from the powerbook.

I haven't changed anything other than working in OS9 instead of OS10, and installing software and the odd peripheral.

When I open the folder "Users" on the Macintosh Hard Disk I get a folder called "Shared" which is empty. The desktop G4 has an empty "shared" folder, and one with my username.

When I log on through ethernet I log on as Registered User.

Thanks for your help, and sorry if I sound hopeless, but it seems like such a bizarre thing.

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I apologize, I have skimmed your original post and missed the point about two OS9 machines... :eek:

I was in the belief you are accessing an OSX machine with OS9. Again sorry for the confusion.

Have you set up which folders to share? Are you sharing the whole HD? I am sorry, it has been so long since I worked with OS9 file sharing. :confused:

7. benpope thread starter macrumors newbie

No problems and thanks for your help....

The whole disk is shared. But the Powerbook desktop folder is invisible even when not connected to the desktop. And from Sherlock on the powerbook it is invisible.

Ben.