invisible folders and such

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JonD25, Apr 6, 2006.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Attached is a screen shot of my hard drive directory in finder. After a bit of updates, back ups, restoring, etc., I got my computer back to a non flip out condition. But I have these three folders, "etc" "tmp" and "var", you can see visible for some reason. Usually these are invisible folders, but now I can see them. I'd rather they go away. Any idea what I can do? I used Terminal to make the "var" folder invisible, but then suddenly nothing would recognize my account password. The others won't even give me permission to make them invisible. I just don't want them hanging out where it's easy to get to them since those seems like important system files. Any idea what I could do?

Attached Files:

2. skywalkgr macrumors newbie

Open a terminal window and type the following at the prompt:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Then you must restart your machine in order changes to take effect.
    You can find some info here : http://www.osxfaq.com/DailyTips/02-2005/02-01.ws

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't work.

4. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

it appears that 'tmp' and 'etc' are merely aliases. meaning that you should be able to delete them with no consequence. as for the 'var' folder, what's in it? it could just be like a system redundancy or something. try moving it out of your hd folder onto your desktop or something then restarting the machine. if everything is working fine, i'd assume it's useless.

5. chrisbillett macrumors newbie

Hey, I also have this problem and have been fighting it all day! I only got it after re-imaging a drive from a firewire... coincidence? Did you do the same by any chance?

... any tips appreciated!

6. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I had a backup of my system on an external firewire hard drive, I used the restore function in Disk Utility, and that's when I got it. So yes, it seems as though it's not a coincidence. I solved it.... but only by reinstalling OSX from scratch. I don't know if that's the best or only solution for you though, but it was the best for me since I was having a ton of other bugs as well, and doing the reinstall fixed everything.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

OMIGOD! DONT DO THAT!
    they may be "merely aliases" but they're important ones, and god knows what you might break if you delete them (think programs that use something from /etc/hosts or something, and because you deleted the /etc symlink it didn't work anymore, even though the same thing exists at /private/etc/hosts or something)

alas, there are important files and such in /var, /etc, /private, /sbin, /usr, /dev, /bin, whatever (it's not just /System or any of the other big OS X system folders), those folders are from the freebsd-based foundation of OS X. please don't delete them :)

8. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Try typing this in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

Then type

killall Finder

should work...

or you could try this...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17688

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

Also,
    Code:
    killall Finder
    is practically the same as option+rightclicking Finder and selecting Relaunch, or going to the Forcequit menu and relaunching Finder.

And, invisible files in the Mac OS X sense is not always the same...as in, putting a dot in front of it, etc. isn't always going to work.