Invisible Man...a reality?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cyks, Feb 7, 2003.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

2. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

thats actually pretty cool...though ive heard rumors that the government is working on doing that to military vehicles...using camreas the superimposing the images to give the impression you can see through them.

still a cool little jacket, and probably more advanced since it has to work on a cloth or other thin material not a hard stable vehicle surface

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well a camera takes images on each side of his body, I remember reading that the army was doing some research into this, but I dont know how far along they are now, that is really cool stuff and scary at the same time....Im seeing images of the Predator and Ghost in the Shell.....

edit: I guess we posted at the same time, didnt mean to say the same thing about the military again...only what I had read had to do with ground troops and not vehicles.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It more of a proof of concept than an actual working device. That's like a high tech blue screen with out the blue screen. Nice, but its got a long way to go.

D

5. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

Yeah, I remember reading something about that in a magazine a while ago (possibly Popular Science). Except I thought they were using fibre-optics rather than superimposing the images with cameras...?

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yeah popular science I think your right, and yes they were using fiber optics.....good memory, I thought it was that mag but I wasnt sure.might as well post the pic of this kids version....
    edit: of and I is good to see that someone other than the military is working on this, otherwise commercial use would be a long way off.

Attached Files:

7. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I was really hoping that this was going to be thread about the Ralph Ellison Book being made into some really abstract film. Light bulbs hardwired to the ceiling and such.. damn. :(

8. Dazzler macrumors member

Science fiction/fact colliding

And people complained about the invisible car in the Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies". Looks like they might have been closer to the mark than anyone realised!

9. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

people really camplained about the car in Bond? they need more imagination. or to read a little more, this has been a research topic for years now...

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Science fiction/fact colliding

This is a prototype concept, not the real thing. The only way this worked, like I said above, was because of the use of realtime compositing work in a computer. The imagery was all digital and the material that the guy is wearing is like a blue screen.

There is a little more to it, getting the correct image overlaid, but its just a concept, not a working model.

Anyone seen Groundhog Day where Andie MacDowell walks up the the wall used for the weather report wearing a sweater the same color as the wall and you see her torso disappear? Just the reverse effect, puting an image on the material instead of removing it.

D

11. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Re: Science fiction/fact colliding

The invisible Aston Martin Vanquish was in Die Another Day. The BMW 7 Series was in Tomorrow Never Dies. The technology featured in the Bond films is more science-fact than fiction.

12. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

That's what I said when I saw the story on the news, but upon mentioning the relation between that and the Vanquish, someone replied to me: "It's pure fiction!" Some people don't believe in scientific development even when it's staring them in the face.

13. Choppaface macrumors 65816

it would be pretty difficult to really fit that book into 2 or 3 hours