Invisible mode assumtions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cadkiller, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Cadkiller macrumors member

Dec 13, 2004

A Mac friend of mine is under the assumtion that with the invisible mode of OSX he is undectable from everyone and anyone on the web, even peer to peer websites that he uses to download files from.

I told him that he is wrong in this assumtion and that they have records of all the files he is downloading to his computer.

As far as I read the invisible mode is primarily for prevention of hackers sending you a virus due to not being able to ping your IP Address.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and also set my friend straight with his assumtions.
  2. hikingnclimbing macrumors member

Jan 10, 2006
    Gorham, ME
    My understanding is the same as yours. I think it just blocks your computer from being pinged by possible attackers or anyone else that might do such a think. I think your friend is reading too much into it.
  3. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    You're right, he's wrong.

All invisible mode does is drop any incoming packets that aren't responses to requests your machine has sent out. It certainly doesn't hide what you're doing on the Internet.
  4. Cadkiller thread starter macrumors member

Dec 13, 2004
    Ping Pong LOL My mistake
  5. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    I didn't know if that was a new term I'd never heard before. I was like, "Well, I know what ping means, but pong? What's that?!" :eek:
  6. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006