Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
How does the Invisible Sheild for the Nano work. Can you tell it's on there or is it really invisible? Well I ordered one and I was just wondering how it worked.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
quagmire101 said:
How does the Invisible Sheild for the Nano work. Can you tell it's on there or is it really invisible? Well I ordered one and I was just wondering how it worked.

I just got one for my black nano on Thursday. It really is almost invisible, especially on the back. The only visible difference is that when the light shines on it from the right angle, the texture is not quite glass smooth. The best part of it is that it will completely cover up any of those tiny scratches that you already have. The only down side to it is that the click wheel doesn't provide as much tactile feedback with the plastic on it, but it is still as responsive as without it.

This site has a good description of the application process:
http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM...tember2005/RDMGG_InvisibleShieldFirstLook.htm. It took me a few tries to get it on right, but it was worth it.

As it says, don't worry about getting the ipod a little wet. As long as you wait a day before you turn it on, any water will have a chance to dry.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind while applying it is to make sure your hands are clean and that no dust or dirt can get on the "sticky" side of the shield. Although the sticky side is not sticky at all when the shield is wet, little specks of dust or lint can get on it and are literally impossible to get out.

lucas

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
admanimal said:
It really is almost invisible, especially on the back.
thats great news! I've got my sheild, just waiting on the nano now. i'd been looking at the bit that goes on the back and tossing up whether i was going to put it on since it looks like it would be pretty noticable but i guess i will now :)

lucas

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
man, these things are tricky as **** to line up the front shield right, i tried like 5 times and every time when i thought i was done i'd notice it was hanging a tiny bit off one end. so i gave up trying to get it perfect, left it for a few hours to set a bit then put on the back shield... much easier but i get the feeling i should have done it first; pressing out the water/air bubbles around the edges put the excess water straight into the front shield so now its less than perfect around the edges

oh well... lifetime warrenty, if it bugs me in a week ill get a replacement

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I was able to make pretty quick work of applying the shield. The real trick is wrapping your head around putting a wet piece of plastic on the face of your nano. After letting it dry for 24 hours, the nano is absolutely beautiful.

Tips:
Wash you hands thoroughly before applying the shield.
Clean dust and fingerprints off the nano.
Don't be afraid to get the shield wet before applying it. (The water helps you slide the shield into place)
Use a credit card to "squeegee" out any air bubbles.
Let the nano dry thoroughly before turning it on (24 hours is recommended.)

After a week of use with the shield, my nano still looks brand-new.

lucas

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2005
Australia
Flowbee said:
After a week of use with the shield, my nano still looks brand-new.
I havent turned mine on yet since its still in the 24hr period (oh the self control, brand new toy in my possesion all day and i havent played with it) but i do really like the fact that the back still has a clear mirror finish, but thumbprints and smudges arent as noticable

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I used a different 'cover' made by Martin Fields and I like it because it is still really glossy. Took me a few tries to get it on w/out air bubbles/ and to get rid of random lint/ dust particles. But I like it so far (just got it late last night).

Cfg5

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
California
How hard are those things to put on correctly, and is there a chance they might screw up a nano or leave some sticky crap on it?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Cfg5 said:
How hard are those things to put on correctly, and is there a chance they might screw up a nano or leave some sticky crap on it?
W/ the Invisible Shield you'd put it on like it was a car decal-- here's a blog w/ a great description of how to put the Invisible Shield on. W/ the Martin Fields, I just lined it up, and slid a credit card over it... it wasn't too hard for me to line it up, though, I was more irritated w/ minor lint. The Martin Fields comes off for sure w/out ANY residue-- use a tiny piece of scotch tape and peel back slowly. Really simple. :)

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
devilot76 said:
I used a different 'cover' made by Martin Fields

It would be very helpful to me (and many others I'm sure) if you posted decent quality pictures of the Martin Fields product to compare it to the InvisibleShield. If you can get good photos we can link to the rainydaymagazine blog's pictures and I'll digg it so everyone can see.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
chaos86 said:
It would be very helpful to me (and many others I'm sure) if you posted decent quality pictures of the Martin Fields product to compare it to the InvisibleShield. If you can get good photos we can link to the rainydaymagazine blog's pictures and I'll digg it so everyone can see.
Hmm... my digital camera doesn't have a macro setting. I'll try to get some good pics tomorrow using my bf's camera. The Martin Fields cover doesn't come w/ a backing though... so for now I've just taken the standard Apple front 'sticker' and placed it on the back. :eek: Not the prettiest solution, but it'll do until I get some sort of cheapo camera/PDA cover thing... I'm not as worried about the back scratching as the front. I spend more time looking at the front. ;) :eek:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Well, took some pictures but w/ my camera so there is no macro picture setting... as such the pictures suck, but hope it's evident that the MF cover is very glossy.

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Also commented on my dialogue between nomad01 regarding the MF cover in this other thread.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Dried.jpg

This is the invisible shield. In the previous post is the Martin Fields cover. You decide.

Invisible Shield: $20
Martin Fields 'Cover': $9

They both say "beware of fakes/imitations" or something like it.

DUGG!

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
soccerbrat85 said:
Hi does the Invisible Shield protect from falls or just scratches?
I just ordered mine, but i would assume from scratches. If you think about it, the ipod, if dropped, is still going to have impact. it is a thin layer of plastic and you can't push a pen through it, but you can stretch it with a pen. So I would assume just protection against scratches.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
soccerbrat85 said:
I just ordered mine, but i would assume from scratches. If you think about it, the ipod, if dropped, is still going to have impact. it is a thin layer of plastic and you can't push a pen through it, but you can stretch it with a pen. So I would assume just protection against scratches.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004
soccerbrat85 said:

Definitely just for scratches. It's basicaly a thin piece of scratch resistant
plastic of some sort. There is no way this stuff can absorb impacts.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
nothing thinner than half an inch could protect an iPod very well from falls. theres just not enough material to absorb the impact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.