Invisible Shield WARNING

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smacman, Oct 14, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Just a heads up to anyone that is considering removal of the full body invisible shield.... Think Twice!!!!

My shield started to discolor and I was generally unhappy with it. After only 2 days of being on the device, it stripped the paint off the iPhone logo and serial # from the back of the phone. You can still make out the numbers but it is now very difficult to read and looks rather odd.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

Telp

That is a real shame. Iwould never have thought it could do that. I am glad i dont have it on, but thats a good thing to post about. I dontt hink ill be putting one of those things on anytime soon anymore, wont even think twice about it.

3. macrumors member

jahsavi

One month, No issues

I purchased the iphone and a invisible shield. Took me a good hour to install and a few days later I noticed a small bubble on the back of the iphone. Peeled up the cover sprayed the back. No issues with peeling the paint at all. I love not having a BIG BULKY case. Plus if anything gets between the case and the iphone it acts like sandpaper.:eek:

4. macrumors 68030

CD3660

Compain to both Apple and Invisible Shield.

5. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah they will definitely take care of it in one of the places.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya... I have already complained to Invisible Shield but I am yet to get a response. I can't see this falling in Apple's court but it may be worth a shot. I'll keep you all posted. Who would have known this would turn into such a disaster.... I think the way Invisible Shield handles this will be a good test of their customer service for everyone to see.....

7. macrumors 6502a

Redneck1089

A lot of the time when you're removing things like the invisible shield and stickers it's best to heat them up a bit. I wouldn't heat the iPhone too much on account of the battery, but a little just to loosen the adhesive on the shield.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point. Unfortunately that advice comes a little late for me. The bottom line is, Invisible Shield advertises this product as removable, and if it is going to damage the phone without using the proper removal technique, then such instructions should be supplied.

9. macrumors member

jahsavi

Very good point. You can also use a little of the spray.. not too much.

10. macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

Wow... I always thought that the markings were etched into the case, as opposed to being painted on the back.... learn something new every day:rolleyes:

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

It's actually both. Etched into the case and painted with some sort of silverish color. When you remove the shield, you are left with ONLY the etch which is barely visible...

12. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Did it really damage the phone? This is really getting ridiculoous. PEOPLE IT'S JUST A PHONE. Getting a case to protect from drops is one thing but come on.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it did! The whole reason why most people invest in a case like the Invisible Shield is to keep the iPhone looking like it was meant to look. My phone does NOT look like it was meant to look anymore. I think a lot of people will be happy to have some warning about this instead of finding out the hard way like me.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update for everyone. It has been 3 days and Invisible Shield is still yet to even respond to my email. :mad:

15. macrumors 68030

CD3660

Have you tried taking it up with Apple yet?

16. Moderator emeritus

devilot

Probably not a great idea as Apple isn't fond of users using such shields. There have been threads/ posts stating as much, and I got heat from a Genius about my BSE.

17. macrumors 68030

CD3660

That's a pity; I've just ordered a BSE for my forthcoming iPhone. What did the Genius say?

18. Moderator emeritus

devilot

That is holds in too much heat and the phone is liable to overheat. :rolleyes:

Seems pretty bogus as I've now had BSE on two different phones and they've both run cooler than the one I didn't happen to have one on anyway. :p

19. macrumors 68030

CD3660

Have you ever had to take one off? If so did it cause any damage such as that reported in this thread?

20. macrumors 68020

aricher

CALL THEM. I had a problem with an IS on my 5G iPod. They never returned emails so I called them - great customer service over the phone.

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

I took your advice. As I type this, I am still on hold and have been for nearly an hour. I am of course calling from out of country on my own dime as well.

What good is a warranty if the company does not answer phone calls or emails? I am very close to cutting my losses on this mess. My mission will soon change from trying to resolve this to spreading my story out as widely as possible.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

23. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

u should just hang up after 5 minutes of no response and call them up again.

24. macrumors 65816

i remove my BSE at the back because my eco shield came in. damn in less than 2days iphone letters stripped just a little on BSE.

thank god for eco shield. im really impressed on this case

25. macrumors 6502

Well they lost my business if that makes you happy. No way I am going though all that.