invisible shield

Discussion in 'iPod' started by j2r110, Jan 21, 2006.

1. j2r110 macrumors member

j2r110

about a month and a half ago, i got an ipod case for my 3 month old blackvideo ipod. i bought the dlo case which is pretty good. i was looking at a forum on ipod cases and some guy said that the invisible shield is amazing. i think i might buy it, but ive heard that its a pain to put it on. should i get it???? my ipod keeps on getting scratches, too. what can i do to get them off? if u have tried something that worked great and isnt expensive, then please tell me!!!!

jonathan

2. Koshiro macrumors newbie

Just steelwool/sandpaper those suckers off. Does the trick every time. :D

Just kidding...I'm not really sure.

3. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

ya, nice one. i dont want to be a nazi to my ipod!!! jk

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

An invisible shield is an amazing product for a brand new iPod.. less effective for an iPod that is already scratched up. If you can find some way to polish out the scratches first (and I think I've read a way or two, but i can't remember), then get an invisible shield. It's kind of frustrating to put on, but it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or an hour at most.

EDIT: I just remembered a product that several people have recommended to remove iPod scratches is Brasso

5. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

isnt brasso for brass???? how would that work? do u know a website that would show how to do it? cus i dont want to a risk on my ipod... i love it, its like sooo awesome!!!:D

6. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

ive used brasso and it did the trick!

gets rid of small scratches completely, and bigger ones are reduced.

if you keep going at it, eventualy there will be almost no scratches.

7. igotgame1075 macrumors member

igotgame1075

i've got a black 5g and a nano, and i can tell you from personal experience that Brasso works.

Ice Cream is a joke, as it took virtually none of the scratches off my nano.

Only other alternative i would recommend other than Brasso, is toothpaste. It is slightly abrasive and can be used to gently buff out the scratches, much like Brasso does.

8. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i have an old 3g 15gb ipod and i brasso'd it several times over the years, each time getting out all the small scratches, and reducing the big ones.

recently i got an invisible shield for it and it really is amazing. the plastic was originally designed to protect the rotor blades of helicopters from sand and dust particles when whipping through the air in desert areas. it is a bitch to put on, especially with 3g ipods (theres cut outs for the buttons and wheel to line up), but it is possible and you can try as many times as you like till you get it.

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I love my InvisibleShield. I bought it at the same time as my 5G iPod, so I literally took the iPod out of the box and put the InvisibleShield on immediately. I don't notice the IS when using the iPod, but it protects it completely from scratches. It was a little hard to put on. Took me about 30 minutes to get it all straight with no bubbles. Still, definitely worth it and not THAT hard to do.

10. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

if iw as gonna use brasso, thenwhat do i do??? do i put some on a towel and rub it on the ipod??? if so what towel and how much???

thanks,
    jon

11. taylorpc macrumors member

Definitely get the Invisible Shield. I was wary of paying 30 bucks for a piece of plastic, but believe me... it is worth it. Mine has gone in and out of my pocket (along with keys, cell phone, knife, change, etc...) and it has kept my 'pod nice and scratch-free. Plus, I actually love the look of the IS on. It keeps the back nice and shiny. If you can find a way to get the scratches off that are already there, go for it! And don't let the harrowing installation stories scare you off. It's annoying, but most definitely do-able.

12. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

pretty much yeah. a bit of brasso on a clean cloth that won't scratch it even more, and some elbow grease.

13. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

I also highly recommend the Invisible Shield. You won't be dissapointed, excellent product that's worth the money.

14. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i love my invisible shield

i have to say after applying 3 different invisible shields, they are a truly stellar product. I would highly recommend them for any ipod or electronic device.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I would definately recommend doing a search here at MR before using ANY of the suggested scratch removers. There are several threads floating around on this very matter. Lots of people say Brasso, but I have seen Brasso add scratches and have yet to personally see it work. Toothpaste had the same results. Never heard of Ice cream. There are some products sold for this very purpose that DO work. DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU TRY!!!!

16. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Brasso won't add scratches. The cloth might if you don't choose a very soft natural material like cotton. Don't use any sort of synthetic textile.
    A UK Mac magazine recently did a test on a whole range of iPod cleaning methods and Brasso came out way ahead of everything, including all the 'made for iPod' stuff that people charge a premium for.
    Don't be tempted to rub too hard and vigorously, because the heat buildup might affect the surface of the plastic of, say, a Nano.
    There is also a product called Silvo which is made by the same people and contains a finer grade of abrasive. We use both products at work for polishing acrylic.
    http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Brasso.html

17. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

1.) does it matter what kinda towel i use? for example microfiber or cotton???
    2.) and does it matter where i put the brasso on?
    3.) are there spots that i shouldnt put the brasso on??? ex: clickwheel

p.s. this is a video ipod

jonathan

18. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

well obviously dont use a cloth that is likely to have particles in it that could scratch the ipod even more. i used a new dishcloth and that worked well. about the parts not to brasso- i dont know about the clickwheel ipods because ive never had one; my 3g has a sealed face that's all shiny, no matte finish, so it wasnt an issue when i did it.

19. Himrich macrumors newbie

I installed the IS on a Shuffle so far and will do it on my wife's Nano soon. It is not easy. Set aside some time to do it right and be patient to get it all in the right place and without bubbles before walking away.

Definitely worth it though. Go for it!

20. Labi macrumors regular

Why don't new iPod's have the IS preinstaled? Seems like no one ever had a complaint about them. Or at least have the choice with or w/out the IS when you buy a new one.

21. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

why should apple move into that market when having so many others in the market (xskin, iskin, IS, podskins, radtech, etc) is like free advertising for the ipod?

22. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Plus, I don't think anyone here mentioned the lifetime warranty that each Invisible Shield comes with. If, at any time, the material becomes scratched or damaged while on your iPod, they will replace it for free.

I've got an IS for my BlackBerry 8700. It's an absolute must for any electronic device you want to protect.

23. blvbear macrumors newbie

hey

hey i am ordering an invisible shield for my 60g ipod video, and i hear that it does not come with any directions:confused: . can someone here pleasee send me a link or some info on how to get them...thanx.:)

24. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

i love my invisible shield

the invisible shield is a great product, i could sell them like hotcakes in the store i worked at in a mall. I have heard brasso works as well as applesauce. As far as putting the shield on, it depends on how anal you are about things, i myself have put on a 30 and 60 gig one along with a razr phone one, the longest ordeal was my 60 gig because it was my frist attempt, took about 1.5 hrs, the rest were done in 30-45 min, jsut take you time the result is stunning.