Invisible volumes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DeadSirius, Jan 2, 2007.

1. DeadSirius macrumors member

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm really getting confused as hell here. I have one external drive connected to my Mac. It has a folder on it that I'm trying to get eDonkey to accept as the incoming folder. (I know, I know, bear with me.)

If I go into Terminal and set the directory to Volumes, a list shows:

Name 1
    Name\ 1

Where Name is the actual name of the external drive and Other is a drive that was unmounted, disconnected, and turned off ages ago. According to eDonkey, it's sent a file to the folder I asked for on Name, but if I navigate through the finder to that folder, the file isn't there. If I navigate via Terminal, it shows the file IS there, but that everything else is missing. And what's puzzling me is why Name is listed 3 different ways.

It seems that a mythical virtual volume has been created that I have no way to navigate to except through this parallel universe that the Terminal sees. Spotlight can't find the file either. What is going on here, and how can I clean it up?

(Please be aware I am not proficient at Terminal, so enunciate clearly. Thanks!)
  2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    A reboot may clear up the multiple names in the Volumes folder and leave you with just one 'Name'. I've had this happen a couple of times, but I'm not sure what causes it.
  3. DeadSirius thread starter macrumors member

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, I solved the problem. It seems that when you designate a new incoming folder in eDonkey, if that folder already exists, a new one will be forged and stashed on the boot drive. The other 2 Name volumes were phantom virtual volumes that had been created on the boot drive. I found a utility that makes invisible files visible, so I was able to navigate to the fake volumes and trash them. (Restarting or Permission Repairing did not clear up the problem.) I was also able to salvage the file that I couldn't get to.

So lesson learned: If you want to make an incoming folder for eDonkey on an external drive, make sure it doesn't already exist. The "in" command creates the folder.