"Invisible" white text

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thequicksilver, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

A few members have recently started to use white text in their messages, as an extra "hidden" comment additional to their main "visible" post.

I have nothing against the members involved, but do find this a little tiresome. If something's worth reading, put it in a visible colour, if it's not worth reading, don't write it. :)

It does get annoying, as the users who do this are some of the most active, and if I'm reading a thread it's preferable not to have to highlight all the random areas of plain white on a page to make sure I'm not "missing out" on anything. It also does make the place seem very cliquey, with only regular members knowing of this trend, and newer members missing out on the banter.

Is it just me, or is it a bit of a joke that's gone too far?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

If I remember correctly, white text was used as a way to hide spoilers in some of the community discussion threads. It was useful, but I'll agree, it's getting out of control.

It does make MR feel cliquey.

WHATEVER! White text rules! Wassup peeps! A joke only goes too far when people get hurt.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Certain members might be abusing it a bit - but it does serve a purpose from time to time - like Lacero mentioned in the posting of spoilers.

So unless it becomes a huge abuse, I don't think it will go away - and the members who are playing with it now will eventually tire of the game.

D

4. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

I, for one, find it fun. It's not like you're missing out on anything really important. It's like an easter egg, or something, that you can only enjoy by doing something 'extra'.

Haha, made you look!

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Don't worry, we're not posting anything about you.

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

YET anyways...

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Proper white texting means you need to use #fafafa instead of "white". In the event you feel you may be quoted, and wish to be as stealth as possible, I suggest using #f5f5f5, as that will reduce the chances you'll get outed. Good luck and happy white texting!

8. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Tips from the master !!!!:D

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Didn't I read somewhere that white was the new black? It's just MR's way of keeping up with fashion.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I was waiting for someone to mention this... but it doesn't bother me at all.

Occasionally, I do an 'Apple+A' to select the whole page to see what else may be there but surely it's not that important?

And no, I don't tend to use it myself... laziness, really.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, I'm sorry it bothers you. :(

But if I follow you correctly...what you're saying is that it contributes to this place having a culture that people have to get into and be a part of, and that's why you don't like it? The fact that MR has a culture is the only reason I still post here or post here frequently... so that part is hard for me to apologize for. It's not exclusive.

It's not like you have to apply for a permit to do wacky stuff here. Just see it and join in the fun. And the people who do it are not only active posters of garbage...they help people out a *lot* too.... If you try to help people out here, you'll be part of the family whether or not you do stupid white text stuff or change your avatar constantly. I hardly ever change my avatar and people still like me.

Well, okay, I don't change my avatar and people continue to dislike me at the same levels they always have.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I read pages highlighted. Especially in certain forums.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought orange was the new pink? :confused:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, Yellow is the new pink. :D

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

OOohhh.. I thought yellow was the new brown.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nope. But "No, Doy" is the new "Word." And "Oh, Snap!" is the new "You've been served." :D

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't even go there... the old Blue. :D

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't worry. Blue never goes out of style. ;)

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I was just talking about recital dresses and my mom said "pink is the new black"
    Is it true??
    and yea, I ?+A everything when I read.
    I like the colour blue it makes. :D

20. Linam macrumors regular

You can see the white text any way so what's the point?

21. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

EDIT: Okay, never mind. If I tilt the LCD to the right angle, I can indeed see "White" text. ;)

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, if white was the new black, then wouldn't pink be the new white? :confused: :p

Only if you highlight the post/page. That's the beauty of the [color=#FAFAFA]Whatever[/color] coding. The format of the color= tag is:

[color=#{R value in hex}{G value in hex}{B value in hex}]

FA is hex for 250, which is the RGB value of the posting area, hence making the text the same color as the background. "White" text is R=G=B=255, rending it more like "ghost" text that you can just see.

24. thequicksilver thread starter macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

No, you don't quite catch my drift. The wacky/silly comments are great. Just post them in black. What's the point in masking them? All it's doing is excluding others who don't want to/doesn't realise white comments are there.

What's the difference between your comment :

Well, okay, I don't change my avatar and people continue to dislike me at the same levels they always have.

and:

Answer: you've made it hard to read. Why bother? Just type it normally.

(And if you have to make it different to separate "fun" comments from "serious" ones, why not make them green, or slightly smaller, or in a different font, or italicised, etc? Making them white just adds a hoop for the reader to jump through. Not much of one, I admit, but I prefer to read black on white, not white on light blue, whose contrast isn't optimal…)

25. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I like the white. I like the extra hoop.
    I think it's fun !:)
    I do see a difference between a hidden message in white and a high contrast message in black. Similiar to body language, it si the way it is delivered not the content of what is delivered. White text has a meaning on it's own - different for everybody on the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.