Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andriella

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I recently purchased a case for my Macbook from techshell.com, which is awesome. Since it covers the outside of the Macbook completely, I removed my InvisibleShield, which I had been somewhat unhappy with because I managed to get some dust stuck to it during application.

My problem is, despite InvisibleShield's claims, there is some residue left on my Macbook (fortunately it is just in a few spots and not on the entire thing). The only cleaning product I have on hand is iKlear, which didn't do a thing for it. Can anyone think of something non-abrasive I can use to get it off? It is much like the stucky residue left when you remove a sticker.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
i know this doesn't help, but i've removed my invisible shield from my nano a few times, and i've never left residue. i'd suggest e-mailing invisible shield. maybe you could even try reapplying the invisible shield and then removing it to see if it takes it back off too?

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
please post your outcome here. I just installed invisbleshield and would like to know what may happen if i ever take it off.

Thanks

moriaun

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
To remove any extra residue, simply spray a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe. The residue will come right off. Enjoy!

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I use Johnson's baby oil (or anything similar) that you can get from the drugstore or supermarket. It doesn't harm the surface and it actually lifts the sticky residue.

After leaving the oil on for a couple of minutes (don't over-soak!), wipe the residue with a dry cloth. Repeat as necessary. Try lifting the residue with your fingernails in between wipes. It will take a lot of patience but it's the safest and it works well for me. Good luck.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Have you tried water and a damp towel?

If you remember when you applied the shield, you were told to add water to dilute the sticky substance so that it is easier to handle when you apply it. I dont see why it cant be diluted even more and then just wiped off.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
WD40 and Baby Oil? are you guys nuts. your mbp will smell like either one since they have very distinct odors. and since there oil based they wont remove easily.

cmon andriella, give us an update.

moriaun

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2007
Shieldzone, the maker of the Invisibleshield, suggests spraying WD-40 on a rag and wiping off an residue. Following wiping with a dry towel. That is the way to go and easily accessible to anyone.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
WD40 and Baby Oil? are you guys nuts. your mbp will smell like either one since they have very distinct odors. and since there oil based they wont remove easily.

cmon andriella, give us an update.

umhh...i've used baby oil on everything i owned that was unfortunate enough to acquire glue/sticky residue. i was an avid scale modeller in my younger days and this proved to be a safe and cheap solution time and time again.

i would not use WD40 though...this can potentially harm the surface. i just make sure i wash excess baby oil with warm water after. it is not stubborn so it removes easily.

andriella

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I got a reply to my e-mail. InvisibleShield has instructed me to use WD-40, so I guess I'll try that.

Also, I removed the IS from my wrist rest / trackpad, and it came off beautifully. It was only the one on the top case that gave me problems.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
That techshell is pretty sweet. To bad they don't have for 15" C2D MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.