InvisibleShield Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andriella, Feb 1, 2007.

1. andriella macrumors member

I recently purchased a case for my Macbook from techshell.com, which is awesome. Since it covers the outside of the Macbook completely, I removed my InvisibleShield, which I had been somewhat unhappy with because I managed to get some dust stuck to it during application.

My problem is, despite InvisibleShield's claims, there is some residue left on my Macbook (fortunately it is just in a few spots and not on the entire thing). The only cleaning product I have on hand is iKlear, which didn't do a thing for it. Can anyone think of something non-abrasive I can use to get it off? It is much like the stucky residue left when you remove a sticker.

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

i know this doesn't help, but i've removed my invisible shield from my nano a few times, and i've never left residue. i'd suggest e-mailing invisible shield. maybe you could even try reapplying the invisible shield and then removing it to see if it takes it back off too?

3. andriella thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm awaiting a reply to the e-mail I sent them. I just thought I would ask here in the meantime.

4. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

I used windex, and and some hard scrubbing to get that residue off my nano.

5. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

please post your outcome here. I just installed invisbleshield and would like to know what may happen if i ever take it off.

Thanks

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd refrain from taking this advice.
    I'd try a reapplication of the shield and see if it cannot pull everything off.

7. moriaun macrumors newbie

To remove any extra residue, simply spray a little WD-40 on a rag and wipe. The residue will come right off. Enjoy!

8. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

soap and water? or goo gone

the questions on this board amaze me

9. donster28 macrumors 6502a

I use Johnson's baby oil (or anything similar) that you can get from the drugstore or supermarket. It doesn't harm the surface and it actually lifts the sticky residue.

After leaving the oil on for a couple of minutes (don't over-soak!), wipe the residue with a dry cloth. Repeat as necessary. Try lifting the residue with your fingernails in between wipes. It will take a lot of patience but it's the safest and it works well for me. Good luck.

10. abbottpc.com macrumors member

Goo gone should take that right off. Just use a soft rag.

11. wako macrumors 65816

Have you tried water and a damp towel?

If you remember when you applied the shield, you were told to add water to dilute the sticky substance so that it is easier to handle when you apply it. I dont see why it cant be diluted even more and then just wiped off.

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Did you purchase from ShieldZone or BestSkinsEver?

13. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

WD40 and Baby Oil? are you guys nuts. your mbp will smell like either one since they have very distinct odors. and since there oil based they wont remove easily.

cmon andriella, give us an update.

14. moriaun macrumors newbie

Shieldzone, the maker of the Invisibleshield, suggests spraying WD-40 on a rag and wiping off an residue. Following wiping with a dry towel. That is the way to go and easily accessible to anyone.

15. donster28 macrumors 6502a

umhh...i've used baby oil on everything i owned that was unfortunate enough to acquire glue/sticky residue. i was an avid scale modeller in my younger days and this proved to be a safe and cheap solution time and time again.

i would not use WD40 though...this can potentially harm the surface. i just make sure i wash excess baby oil with warm water after. it is not stubborn so it removes easily.

16. andriella thread starter macrumors member

I got a reply to my e-mail. InvisibleShield has instructed me to use WD-40, so I guess I'll try that.

Also, I removed the IS from my wrist rest / trackpad, and it came off beautifully. It was only the one on the top case that gave me problems.

17. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

18. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

That techshell is pretty sweet. To bad they don't have for 15" C2D MBP.