iomega external HD problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Butler Trumpet, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

So i got a new iomega external hd for christmas today from the parents... its 40gig and here is the link to it:
    http://www.iomega.com/na/products/p...SORTMENT<>ast_id=26890319&bmUID=1135547410904
    i plug it into my computer, it works fine. Then i changed the icon, and changed the name of the hd to something i wanted it to be.
    then i was taking my ibook someplace, so i eject the hd and it goes into the beachball.... i wait about five minutes, nothing happens it has locked up finder to where i cant even relaunch finder through force quit. so ... against my better judgement I just unplugged the HD (through firewire) .... it seems to be fine, finder comes back and i leave.

when i come back, i plug my HD back in, and nothing happens... it wont show up at all, so i restart a few times, and nothing still. i go to system profile and it says that there is something plugged in, but it doesnt know what.

help? is it completely broken and I need to send it back? at least its still under warranty.

edit:
    i just remembered one more thing.... when i plugged it in the first time, i opened it, and saw a few files that were blabla.exe me knowing that this is a windows file... i deleted them (I'm a moron I know) so Im guessing thats the problem... but because the drive wont show up at all... i cant replace them. thanks again

2. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Ive tried it many more times, and have done everything I can think of... it still will not recognize the the HD is connected..... getting mad

3. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

okay, even though Im not sure if anyone is really reading this... i finally got my hard drive to show up in system profiler and disk utility....
    it still wont mount it, and repairing it doesnt work either.
    i tried to erase and reformat it, but that doesnt seem to get me anyplace... any more ideas?

4. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

okay cool... i am the man.
    after a few failed attempts of erasing and reformatting it finally worked, and now everything is fine.
    weird that it broke like it did... but at least its back to working :)