Iomega Rev drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Le Big Mac, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Does anyone have experience with this product? It's essentially a 35GB removable harddrive/cartridge for backups. Good? Bad? Ugly?

I'd like it as a backup solution instead of another harddrive, because I could take it offsite.

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think everything Iomega makes is rubbish. Everything is a gimmick for those guys. Remember zip disks? Man, what a pain...

Besides, the Rev drive costs almost twice as much as an external HD with half (actually, less than half) the space.

Bad idea if you ask me. I'd stick with one of the Lacie external drives. Very sturdy. Nicest of the external brands if you ask me. I'd go with the Lacie instead.

Iomega Rev Drive

Lacie Big Disk Extreme 400GB

Basically, if you put down $400 on that Rev Drive instead of that hot Lacie drive, you should beat yourself with spoons....I mean seriously...34GB vs. 400GB?

3. Le Big Mac thread starter macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Thanks for the assessment. Sounds like it's not a great idea. Is the better solution simply to buy two Lacies and move one off site for super protection? The advantage of the Rev disks is they're easy to take elsewhere and are (supposedly) less risky to transport.

I kind of liked Zip disks, at least in principle. The problem for them was that CD burners got good and cheap really quickly. Obviously burning a CD is a better solution, but we didn't always have it. (Then again, I liked floppies at one point too, but stopped using them close to ten years ago, once emailing became easier.)

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Rev with 400GB worth of disks would costs
    Rev Drive: $400
    35GBx12≈400GB <=> $60x12 = $720
    Total cost: $400+$720= $1120

How much space do you need?
    If size matters look here: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10559
    Its powered thru firewire too (no ac adapters needed!)