Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I personally don't use Office in the first place, since it's an utter piece of trash. However, the Office Mac layout is far better than that for Windows, even if Office for Windows is faster and more stable than Office Mac. None of this matters, though, because I'd never use the crappy thing in the first place.

Oh, and let's not forget how much of a rip-off MS Office is. The entirety of iWork is $60 (or $20 per application). It boggles my mind that people would actually pay over $100 for Office - just because it's what most people use. Compatibility isn't an issue at all, since Pages can export files as Word-formatted or as PDFs.

Or people see more value in it than you do.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

I don't know who would. Most don't; they just buy Office because they don't know any better. It seems like those who know nothing about software or computers default to it just because it's a standard or something. It's as though they don't realize that there are other word processors (etc.) out there.

It's all black and white: Microsoft has a history of charing and arm and a leg for sh*tty software.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I don't know who would. Most don't; they just buy Office because they don't know any better. It seems like those who know nothing about software or computers default to it just because it's a standard or something. It's as though they don't realize that there are other word processors (etc.) out there.

It's all black and white: Microsoft has a history of charing and arm and a leg for sh*tty software.

If you'd like, I could explain some very big reasons to choose Office over iWork. I'm at work right now, so it'll be tomorrow. And I'd rather not post if you really don't care.

sibcc

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
La Jolla CA
After all these years, 10, 20? MS Word on Mac (Office 2011) can't do properly command+v and command+c, or x or z etc. Sometimes it works, sometimes its not. Even if you do global key combo shortcuts, they still don't work. Sometimes for no reason, it becomes unbelievably slow.

All in all, Pages may miss some Word features, but its stable, just works and got everything I need. It can edit, open and export Word files as well.

And its free.

I've never had that problem with MS Office. For a program that's supposedly so crappy, a hell of a lot of work gets done on it. If you're in the business world, there really is no alternative. I've used just about every word precessor and spreadsheet on many different platforms and disliked the MS near monopoly on office suites; however, even I must admit that the latest versions of Word and Excel work rather well. I do like the new interface of iWork, but Apple, once again, stripped it of capabilities relative to iWork 09. There is also LibreOffice/OpenOffice that has come a longway since its origin as StarOffice and is is cross platform and opensource. For text, I tend to write in Vim and let Latex do the layout work.

Obviously, vendors today want to move to cloud applications with centralized control and a subscription model.
[doublepost=1457331054][/doublepost]

Yep, try using something else in the enterprise and discover the reality of retraining costs. Currently, there is a large base of people who are trained in MS Office. That reality is significant for the enterprise.

Last edited:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I've never had that problem with MS Office. For a program that's supposedly so crappy, a hell of a lot of work gets done on it. If you're in the business world, there really is no alternative. I've used just about every word precessor and spreadsheet on many different platforms and disliked the MS near monopoly on office suites; however, even I must admit that the latest versions of Word and Excel work rather well. I do like the new interface of iWork, but Apple, once again, stripped it of capabilities relative to iWork 09. There is also LibreOffice/OpenOffice that has come a longway since its origin as StarOffice and is is cross platform and opensource. For text, I tend to write in Vim and let Latex do the layout work.

Obviously, vendors today want to move to cloud applications with centralized control and a subscription model.
[doublepost=1457331054][/doublepost]

Yep, try using something else in the enterprise and discover the reality of retraining costs. Currently, there is a large base of people who are trained in MS Office. That reality is significant for the enterprise.

Vim and Latex combo is quite exotic one :) tbh, never heard of anyone using Latex for layout except for science papers. Even then I prefer MathType.

I dont think that MS Office is monopoly in business as before. Things have changed a lot. Yes, docx and doc format are still popular, but PDF is as good, and Pages can export doc files.

I tend to think that there is now a rather large army of people trained in Pages and Keynote thanks to Macs and especially iPhones and iPads. Once I did a rather complicated Keynote editing in iOS and it went without any hiccups.

Office went downhill ever since Word 5.1a, I think. Thats still a classic and a best one.
Pages is getting quite close with every iteration and now is better than Word on Mac. I tend to compile rather large (50-80 pages) reports, and Pages does it very well. I wish it had some advanced commands, but don't miss them much.

In few years, Android google docs and Mac/iOS offering will be a very viable alternative to gradually disappearing PC desktops and notebooks' MS Office. Indeed, I would be surprised if people continued to pay 300 dollars for MS Office, when iWork can do same work for free. You just needs Macs and now they are everywhere.

sibcc

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
La Jolla CA
Vim and Latex combo is quite exotic one :) tbh, never heard of anyone using Latex for layout except for science papers. Even then I prefer MathType.

I dont think that MS Office is monopoly in business as before. Things have changed a lot. Yes, docx and doc format are still popular, but PDF is as good, and Pages can export doc files.

They're very close if you look at market penetration. PDF is not, even editable PDF, an acceptable substitute for a word processor format.

I tend to think that there is now a rather large army of people trained in Pages and Keynote thanks to Macs and especially iPhones and iPads. Once I did a rather complicated Keynote editing in iOS and it went without any hiccups.

This is only in isolated tech savvy centers or what I like to refer to as tech driven islands.

Office went downhill ever since Word 5.1a, I think. Thats still a classic and a best one.
Pages is getting quite close with every iteration and now is better than Word on Mac. I tend to compile rather large (50-80 pages) reports, and Pages does it very well. I wish it had some advanced commands, but don't miss them much.

I find Pages cumbersome when dealing with a world stuffed with MS's formats. At one point, I really liked rtfd, but unfortunately Apple removed that format from Pages. Ideally, we'd have a non-proprietary format that everyone could use and that would maintain formatting across devices and operating systems. The Open Document Format (ODF) is the right direction IMHO.

In few years, Android google docs and Mac/iOS offering will be a very viable alternative to gradually disappearing PC desktops and notebooks' MS Office. Indeed, I would be surprised if people continued to pay 300 dollars for MS Office, when iWork can do same work for free. You just needs Macs and now they are everywhere.

That's the standard argument; however, I do not see desktops disappearing on the productivity side. We're 40 years into word processing and we're still typing on an inefficient keyboard layout. On another note, I wonder what the future holds for repetitive injury and the poor posture caused by the prolific use of phones, pads, and other touch devices.

Last edited:

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Yeah, iWork was completely stripped after '09, which is why I only use '08 and '09 (respective to the Mac I'm using). I am sure newer versions of MS Word are an improvement over the crud it used to be, but a 7 year-old office suite from Apple is still very good. I've also gotten a lot of work done - actually, back in the days of Word 2004/2008. The formatting was pretty much a nightmare when I was working on a big outline, so I decided to switch to Pages, where I found instant relief, swiftness, and stability. Compare Word to Windows... they share retardation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.