Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone_iPad_iOS_10.jpg
Apple today announced iOS 10, the next major version of its mobile operating system. The software update is compatible with most iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models capable of running iOS 9, with exceptions including the iPhone 4s, iPad 2 and 3, original iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch.

iOS 10 is available in beta for registered Apple developers starting today, while the update will be seeded to public beta testers in July. The free software update will officially launch in the fall, presumably alongside the iPhone 7 in early to mid September.

iOS 10 features redesigned Messages, Apple News, Apple Music, and Photos apps with several new features, a brand new Home app for controlling HomeKit accessories, a Siri SDK for third-party app developers, and much more. Read our WWDC 2016 liveblog and coverage for a recap of today's announcements.

The complete list of iOS 10 compatible devices:

iPhone
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPhone 5

iPad

iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad (4th generation)
iPad mini 4
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 2

iPod touch

iPod touch (6th generation)

Apple has shared the full video of its WWDC 2016 keynote, where it also introduced macOS Sierra alongside new versions of watchOS and tvOS.

Update: Apple has removed the iPad 2, iPad 3, original iPad mini, and fifth-generation iPod touch from the compatible devices list on its iOS 10 preview page.

Article Link: List of iOS 10 Compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch Models [Updated]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: osmar.rodriguez

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Quite funny that they have dropped support for 4s but not iPad 2. I've recently sold my 4s for a 6s but I guess my iPad 2 might get another update - I guess performance-wise it can't be worse than iOS 9 so kind of, strangely, looking forward to it! :)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Damn, the iPad 2 is still supported! Let's not forget it was released in 2011.

I guess they didn't have a choice to optimize for it though as the iPad mini is essentially the same thing and was still sold until recently.

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Whilst i am glad the iPad 2 and 1st Gen mini are still supported, i wish they would optimise them a bit more. iOS 9 is ok for most apps, but using Safari on them is painful and quick web browsing is what i use a tablet for most.

Reactions: MH01

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The iPad 2 is immortal

Yep, I bet you can find caveman paintings of it running RockOS 3.
[doublepost=1465851519][/doublepost]
This is kinda weird: iPad 2/iPad Mini/iPod Touch 5 with A5 CPUs are still supported but iPhone 4S with the exact same specs is not.

Mainly due to the 3.5" form factor I think, everything was a little squished on the 4S in iOS 9. And it's weird as Apple's page says the iPT 5 is compatible, but in the keynote, they only said the 6th gen onwards. I guess we'll have to wait to see what the news on that is :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The older iPads may be supported but I doubt they will get a full feature set! To be honest I'd rather they drop them from the lineup

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The older iPads may be supported but I doubt they will get a full feature set! To be honest I'd rather they drop them from the lineup
There's a crap ton of iPad 2's in the education market. I'd imagine Apple would have gotten too much push back had they dropped the 2. Works for me though. I have an OG iPad and an iPad 2. Both still work and nothing since has been compelling enough to make me want to upgrade them.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
My work 5C can barely handle 9.3. This could be bad, given how much extra stuff they've added.

Reactions: maxsix

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
By what metric will my iPhone 6 start running slower with this update? I can't even use my iPad 3 anymore after iOS 7. Came to a slow crawl.

kalanni

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
wait...
i thought that the iPod touch 5th gen and the iPad 2 and the iPad mini 1 got dropped

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
As a developer I'm pretty happy to see the back of 3.5 inch devices. It was becoming a disproportionate burden to support that form factor when looking at the relative size of the 3.5 inch user base.

Gingeg

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016

iPhone_iPad_iOS_10.jpg
Apple today announced iOS 10, the next major version of its mobile operating system. The software update is compatible with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models currently capable of running iOS 9, except for the iPhone 4s.

iOS 10 is available in beta for registered Apple developers starting today, while the update will be seeded to public beta testers in July. The free software update will officially launch in the fall, presumably alongside the iPhone 7 in early to mid September.

iOS 10 features redesigned Messages, Apple News, Apple Music, and Photos apps with several new features, a brand new Home app for controlling HomeKit accessories, a Siri SDK for third-party app developers, and much more. Read our WWDC 2016 liveblog and coverage for a recap of today's announcements.

The complete list of iOS 10 compatible devices:

iPhone
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPhone 5iPad
iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
iPad Air 2
iPad Air
iPad (4th generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad 2
iPad mini 4
iPad mini 3
iPad mini 2
iPad miniiPod touch
iPod touch (6th generation)
iPod touch (5th generation)Apple has shared the full video of its WWDC 2016 keynote, where it also introduced macOS Sierra alongside new versions of watchOS and tvOS.

Article Link: List of iOS 10 Compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch Models

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.