iOS 4.3 Can't restore iPhone because password was incorrect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rjheys, Jan 12, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Aug 9, 2008
    So I have just installed iOS 4.3 and tried to restore the data on my phone but I keep getting this error message that I have never seen before, "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the password was incorrect" with out it even asking me for a password. Doing a quick search I found it might be something to do with Encrypting the iPhone backups, which I don't do, so how can the password be wrong? anyone else ever seen this? how did you fix it?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors member

Nov 2, 2008
    Same problem here. Can't restore from my recent backups, and I don't remember having set up a password.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2011
    I haven't seen this before, but it might be asking you for your computer admin password, but if aren't prompted to enter a password it might be that your phone is locked with your secret code.

If you have a password for you phone (The stock setting is a 4 digit numerical code) try disabling it then running the update.

Best of luck.
  4. macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2007
    I am getting this stupid error too with 4.3. I've reinstalled everything. My iPhone has no security code and I've even decrypted my previously encrypted backup using a third-party utility (EPPB) but no joy. I installed XCode and the new SDK too in the hope that this would solve it, but no.

At the moment I have no way of accessing my personal settings.

This is a serious bug with 4.3 and people need to be made aware of it!
  5. papasurf, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2007
    Temporary fix

I've been able to restore from by backup by copying the backup folder to a PC and restoring using iTunes on that.

DO NOT in any circumstances allow iTunes to do a backup before you do this otherwise it may mess with your backup.

Update: Scratch that, it went through the motions, but it didn't actually do a proper restore
  6. macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2008
    Staffordshire, UK
    It is in beta though so problems should be expected.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2010
    Try typing your iPhone's password before syncing
  8. macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2011

I am having this same issue, before I restored my phone, I made sure to back it up first. I have never set any passwords or passcodes for my phone ever (and even tried my usual ones) So before it will restore all my previously backed up info it is asking for this password? what the EFF is the deal with this?? I updated itunes before the backup-could this be part of it? Is there at least a way I can view the info that used to be on my phone through itunes? I really need those contacts back otherwise I lost connection with many friends from other states.
  9. macrumors 68020

May 6, 2010
    The United States
  10. macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2011

is there at least a way to access my info I lost through itunes?????
  11. rjheys, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011

thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 9, 2008
  12. macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2011
    Finally fixed this up!

I had the EXACT same problem

I tried it in beta 3 today, but no luck, so I started messing around with the backup files.

On a mac:
    Go to <username>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
    Find the most recent backup of your phone as well as the one you want to restore to.
    Open the Manifest.plist file for each
    Copy the value in BackupKeyBag from the new one to the one you wish to restore to. Save.
    Restore to the old backup!

This worked for me, hope it works for you.
  13. macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2011
    same issue just happened to me

cannot access my encrypted backup and I have tried every password I think I have ever used but to no avail...any idea how I can resolve this? Still do not see anything that seems to have worked in general. Thanks in advance.
  14. macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2011
    Solved !!!

Thanks a lot buddy, I worked for me as well :)
  15. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm trying to do this with a PC. The only way to even get to the files was with a third party softwear, "iPhone Backup Extractor", Their I went into the folder to try to do as you say but I cant open the "Manifest.plist" file. Is their a program that I can use to open it?
  16. macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2011
    Solved. It works!

Thanks mate, all that was required is the computer admin password. I tried mine and it worked.

I do not normally post reviews, but I thought someone else could benefit from this too...

17. macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2013
    password to restore iOS 4.3 from iPhone backup

Well very late on this thread but since I've got the same things and did a good research on the Internet, I found something which I thought it's very useful to share, in fact amazing.

I found the iPhone Backup Unlocker that help unlock passwod to iPhone encrypted backup. Cheers!
  18. macrumors 601

Nov 15, 2012
  19. macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2011
    I've fixed it

Okay guys, spent ages staring at the manifest.plist and I think I've finally fixed it!!! :D Okay so basically:
    1. go to [username]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup and locate the backup of your device (all the folders containing backups will be called massive strings of letters and numbers but if you check the date the folder was created, it will be the date of your first backup of that device or check a date of the files inside and it will be the date of your most recent backup).
    2. Scroll right to the bottom of the folder and locate the file called manifest.plist
    3. Open it with property list editor (default with mac)
    4. Where it says 'IsEncrypted' and along from that 'boolean' next to 'boolean' there is a tick box. If it isn't ticked, click it to tick it.
    5. Go back into iTunes and click restore - The password field comes up and you can enter the password if you encrypted it and you know it. If you didn't encrypt it there are videos available to show you what to enter to unlock it :)
  20. macrumors newbie

Jun 10, 2013
    I'm not seeing "boolean' this is what I have