IOS 5 BACKUP on IOS 6 BETA

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dima470, Jun 10, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Dima470

I am planning on getting IOS 6 beta build. I am wondering, will I be able to install an IOS 5 backup on IOS 6 beta? And will I be able to install my IOS 6 beta on legit IOS 6.0? I've done the second one but I heard people having SERIOUS issues. What do you guys think?

2. macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

If you want all your settings, contacts, eMail accounts, SMS's and so forth erased for the comfort of a 'fresh' install then don't use a backup. Otherwise just restore from your backup.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Dima470

Thats not my question. Could installing a backup on a beta possibly screw things up?

4. macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

No. If that were the case there would be no option to do so in iTunes. During the beta builds developers are asked to use a non-primary device as full restores are needed sporadically. Coming from a stable build to a beta, though, a fresh restore is not needed.

5. macrumors member

Yes. It's a beta. All sorts of things may not work.

And heed Apple's warnings that you can't revert to iOS 5 and shouldn't install it on your primary device.

6. macrumors 65816

Nikos

I stored my iOS 5 backup on the iOS 6 beta and haven't experienced any issues yet. This has been the case for every beta since iOS 4.

7. macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Uh...having downgraded to 5.1.1 from 6.0 last night and retaining everything I had prior to the upgrade, I can safely say that's not the case.

8. macrumors 68020

Restoring any backup onto a different OS has always given me the heebie jeebies but with a beta I would avoid it at all costs.
    That said, with beta-1 anyway, you don't need to do a restore.
    Beta-1 can be installed as an update on top of iOS5 and all settings and media will remain.

9. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I restored from backup and everything seems flawless so far. I did have double of almost every body in my contacts at first, but realized that was because I had to turn off permissions for Facebook to my contacts as it adds every person in your friends list with an associated number to your phone.

10. macrumors newbie

How did you downgrade? I shift+update .ipsw 5.1.1 but it got stuck on the continuous loading loop and I had to enter DFU mode. Lost everything. I've got a backup of ios 6 beta 4. Is it possible to load in ios 6 GM and restore from backup?

11. macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I restored from backup and my apps forgot where they were. They got knocked out of their folders, too.

I know this behaviour isn't typical, though.

12. macrumors regular

Yeah not typical I updated to iOS 6 GM last night and restored from my 5.1.1 backup I made right before. Everything was just as I left it before the update started.